Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoMedved

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
Hello! I tried to find anything related with this issue but failed.

Periodically I have weird glitches on my 15-inch 2018 MBP display. Big white polygons all over the active window (happens mostly in full screen, so they seen across all display). It is very hard to reproduce, it happens absolutely randomly, but one guy from youtube caught this glitch on a video
He did it on a 2017 15-inch model though.

It appears randomly, most of the times when I am working on code in IDE (JetBrains GoLand), doing stuff in iTerm2 or chatting in Discord application. So it maybe not just safari/chrome related issue. New mac os mojave updates did not help much. It still happens on 10.14.4

Maybe someone was able to reproduce this issue or already discussed this. Thank you.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
My guess is you're seeing it swap between the iGPU and AMD GPU and Apple will need to fix it so that the frame buffer isn't starved by the AMD GPU on the swap. As I'd imagine this whole setup works by the AMD CPU directly feeding the iGPU frame buffer so they only need one se of wires to the display.

Reactions: YoMedved

YoMedved

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
One more video with the same glitch:

I wonder if there are steps for constantly reproducing the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.