Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirky1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Hi there,

I upgraded to a new 15" Macbook Pro 2018 from my 2012 retina model. I mainly work with audio software. When running the same project on both machines, the new macbooks fans run considerably louder. When comparing in Macs Fan Control, it shows that the new macbook has a CPU temperature of around 90-93 degrees celcius, and the fans running at around 5300. My old macbook shows a higher CPU temperature of about 92-95 degrees, but a much slower fan of around 3800. This doesn't change much over multiple hours... Why is this the case? Are these new macbooks just that much worse in terms of thermal design?

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I’ve bought a 15” 2018 MBP with 2.6 GHz i7 and Radeon 560X last week. My previous machine was a 5 year old Late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15” with i7 @ 2GHz.

I’m quite satisfied with the new computer, except for one thing: it is heavily using it’s fans and is very noisy.

Here is how I use my computer: I am an iOS developer, and I use it to build and run iOS apps for work, and use it for hobby and media consumption in the evenings. For work, I have an 1980x1080 and a 2560x1440 external display attached beside the internal Retina display. I have exactly the same system on both machines, I restored it from Time Machine backup when I got the 2018 model.

My old machine was almost complete silent during it’s 5 year life-span. I never worried about the temperatures or fan speeds. Not even once. When it got heavy load, after 2-5 minutes the fans used to spin up with moderately high noise and cooled down the machine until the load stopped. I experienced such loads only when I built large source codes (like Virtualbox source, took 1-2 hours) or exporting videos (10 mins-2 hours). On normal daily routine, it did not get noisy not even once. Every Xcode build remained silent. (I’ve got Xcode build times around 1-2 minutes.)

My new computer is not like that. Even the smallest task spins up the fans. When the machine is idle, the fans rotate at ~2500 rpm, but when I open a heavier web page (Facebook sometimes, a few minutes of unsplash.com, Pinterest), run an Xcode build, or basically do whatever, it quickly gets above 3000 rpm. Above 3000 rpm the noise is noticeable. When the load remains 100% on at least one core for more than a few seconds, the machine quickly heats up and the fans kick in their 6000 rpm maximum, which is similar to a vacuum cleaner. When the tasks stop, the fans quickly slow down.

So my question is – what do you experience with the 2018 model, and maybe the previous few year’s models: is this normal?

My theory is, that is shouldn’t be normal. The processor needs fewer Watts of power to do the same tasks, so in theory there should be less thermal loss.

What I’ve done so far:

- reset SMC
- install all updates
- try without iStat Menus
- run Apple diagnostics
- try without external displays on Intel GPU only

Reactions: Costee

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it is heavily using it’s fans and is very noisy.
The fans are running for a reason, what are your temps?

While its possible that your fans may be too noisy, i.e., defective, its more likely they're running to cool the computer.

So my question is – what do you experience with the 2018 model, and maybe the previous few year’s models: is this normal?
Yes, the fans spin up when the temps are higher. Did you apply the supplemental update to fix the throttling issue? That may have an indirect impact on the fans (I'm not sure though). I also run the app called Macs Fan Control and set up a profile that spins the fans up at a certain temp. My issue is that I want the fans to spin up sooner then what they were (which is the opposite of what you want).

As for a comparison, I had a PC laptop before this MBP, and it's fans were LOUD, going all the time, this Mac pure joy

Reactions: G5isAlive

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
The fans are running for a reason, what are your temps?

While its possible that your fans may be too noisy, i.e., defective, its more likely they're running to cool the computer.

Yes, the fans spin up when the temps are higher. Did you apply the supplemental update to fix the throttling issue? That may have an indirect impact on the fans (I'm not sure though). I also run the app called Macs Fan Control and set up a profile that spins the fans up at a certain temp. My issue is that I want the fans to spin up sooner then what they were (which is the opposite of what you want).

As for a comparison, I had a PC laptop before this MBP, and it's fans were LOUD, going all the time, this Mac pure joy

Thank you for your answer. I am sure the fans are running to cool down the CPU/GPU, but my question was that this amount of noise and this sensitive fan spin up is normal or not?

I wrote, that I have all the updates (including the supplemental update, 17G2208) installed. I am using iStat Menus to monitor the temperatures and the fan speeds:

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 13.45.45.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 13.45.54.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too loud is subjective, I hear my fans as the temps get into the 60 and 70c range, but I don't think they're too loud, but then as I mentioned my PC laptop (Razer Blade 15") had very loud (what I'd say obnoxiously) fans.

Maybe visit a store that has a MBP and push the CPU hard and try to listen to the fans. The issue there, is most stores are not quiet and will impact your ability to discern whether your laptop is normal or not. Another option is to take it into Apple and demonstrate the issue and let them offer their advice.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Too loud is subjective, I hear my fans as the temps get into the 60 and 70c range, but I don't think they're too loud, but then as I mentioned my PC laptop (Razer Blade 15") had very loud (what I'd say obnoxiously) fans.

Maybe visit a store that has a MBP and push the CPU hard and try to listen to the fans. The issue there, is most stores are not quiet and will impact your ability to discern whether your laptop is normal or not. Another option is to take it into Apple and demonstrate the issue and let them offer their advice.

For me, 2000 rpm is silent, 3000 rpm is audible, 4-5000 rpm is noisy and 6000 rpm is like a vacuum cleaner. Really disturbing.

I’ve spoken with Apple, and I requested for a replacement unit. We’ll se if it solves the issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just turned my fans up to max and they're loud very loud but not vacuum cleaner loud. If I was a betting man, I'd say the fan noise that you're hearing is normal. Of course once you get the replacement, that will confirm if its true or not

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
For me, 2000 rpm is silent, 3000 rpm is audible, 4-5000 rpm is noisy and 6000 rpm is like a vacuum cleaner. Really disturbing.

I’ve spoken with Apple, and I requested for a replacement unit. We’ll se if it solves the issue.

I'd get the base model in terms of CPU and GPU (2.2 ghz and 555x) for this exact reason.

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I'd get the base model in terms of CPU and GPU (2.2 ghz and 555x) for this exact reason.

Was just about to ask a 15" fan question in a new thread, but this thread seems appropriate.

Question: What 15" config (if any) would not use the fans at all while running a Parallels VM with 8gb of Ram (Outlook, Excel, 5 chrome tabs), a few apps on the Mac side (safari) and 2 external 1920x1200 monitors?

Currently have the 13" i5 running this scenario, and the fans almost never spin at all, however, am finding the 13" screen too small for my aging eyes when actually using the laptop's own internal display when not at work. And would like the 15" screen, but really prefer the computer to run silent. Understand that these desires may be opposed and impossible, but thought I would ask for any help from 15" owners.

I apologize for possibly thread-jacking, but hope that my question is related closely enough to the original thread about 15" fan speeds that it won't take away from the OP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Was just about to ask a 15" fan question in a new thread, but this thread seems appropriate.

Question: What 15" config (if any) would not use the fans at all while running a Parallels VM with 8gb of Ram (Outlook, Excel, 5 chrome tabs), a few apps on the Mac side (safari) and 2 external 1920x1200 monitors?

Currently have the 13" i5 running this scenario, and the fans almost never spin at all, however, am finding the 13" screen too small for my aging eyes when actually using the laptop's own internal display when not at work. And would like the 15" screen, but really prefer the computer to run silent. Understand that these desires may be opposed and impossible, but thought I would ask for any help from 15" owners.

I apologize for possibly thread-jacking, but hope that my question is related closely enough to the original thread about 15" fan speeds that it won't take away from the OP.

As far as I know the minimum rpm for any 15” model is 2000, so the fans will always spin (but not audible).

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017

What year/model is your 13? 2015? The fans do turn off during low usage, but only on 13.

I really doubt the fans on your 13 are turned off while running those apps and powering 2 monitors. It's possible that you just don't hear them (they are silent at low rpm even with excellent hearing). You can check it with apps like istat menus.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi there,

I upgraded to a new 15" Macbook Pro 2018 from my 2012 retina model. I mainly work with audio software. When running the same project on both machines, the new macbooks fans run considerably louder. When comparing in Macs Fan Control, it shows that the new macbook has a CPU temperature of around 90-93 degrees celcius, and the fans running at around 5300. My old macbook shows a higher CPU temperature of about 92-95 degrees, but a much slower fan of around 3800. This doesn't change much over multiple hours... Why is this the case? Are these new macbooks just that much worse in terms of thermal design?

Just curious, what software are you running? I am using Audition and it is quiet while I record. The 2018 15 MBP Mac is 2 feet from the microphone and my voice-over recordings have no computer noise. I am using a Shure Sm7b mic.

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
What year/model is your 13? 2015? The fans do turn off during low usage, but only on 13.

I really doubt the fans on your 13 are turned off while running those apps and powering 2 monitors. It's possible that you just don't hear them (they are silent at low rpm even with excellent hearing). You can check it with apps like istat menus.

Thanks for the quick replies. Have a 2018 13" i5 MBP with 16gb Ram and 512gb SSD. Have owned it a week so still possible to swap for the 15".

Installed iStat Menus and shows "Left 1368. Right 1481". computer is completely silent. So perhaps under 2,000 rpm the computer remains silent (at least to these aging ears). Are any 2.2ghz 15" with 555x (or 560x) running below 2,000 rpms with parallels and dual 1920x1200 monitors?

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Thanks for the quick replies. Have a 2018 13" i5 MBP with 16gb Ram and 512gb SSD. Have owned it a week so still possible to swap for the 15".

Installed iStat Menus and shows "Left 1368. Right 1481". computer is completely silent.

Show please an image of your fan speed history (as you can see mine above)!

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Show please an image of your fan speed history (as you can see mine above)!
Unfortunately I do not know how to attach a picture, but since iStat has only been running for 30mins, there really isn't any historical data.

However, for the last 30 mins, the peak left fan speed was 1,615, and the peak right fan speed was 1,781. The computer is, and has remained, completely silent to my ears over this time period during which I downloaded and installed iStats in addition to running all of other daily apps.

Reactions: gklka

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Installed iStat Menus and shows "Left 1368. Right 1481". computer is completely silent. So perhaps under 2,000 rpm the computer remains silent (at least to these aging ears). Are any 2.2ghz 15" with 555x (or 560x) running below 2,000 rpms with parallels and dual 1920x1200 monitors?
From what I hear, the 13" can show fan speed at 0, where as the 15" is always at least at 2,000 rpm

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
From what I hear, the 13" can show fan speed at 0, where as the 15" is always at least at 2,000 rpm

maflynn, which GPU do you have along with your 2.2ghz i7? and can you hear the fans when they are idling at 2,000 rpm? Do you run external monitors from your MBP? What is your avg fan speed? Noise? Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the base 550x and I'm happy with that. Yes my fan speed are idling at 2k

Yes, an Apple Cinema Display and my temps are in the 50 to 60 range though ambient temps are rather high right now. Off the monitor, I'm about 10c cooler, and on battery and using the iGPU, I'm seeing temps in the 30 to 40c range

Cavman

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I have the base 550x and I'm happy with that. Yes my fan speed are idling at 2k

Yes, an Apple Cinema Display and my temps are in the 50 to 60 range though ambient temps are rather high right now. Off the monitor, I'm about 10c cooler, and on battery and using the iGPU, I'm seeing temps in the 30 to 40c range

Thanks again for the replies. Can you hear the fans at 2,000?

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
A little update: I’ve sent back the unit to Apple, they replaced it and gave me a new computer. The new one is much better! It seems not only the fans switch on much later than in the previous instance, but cool down the computer faster and are also more quiet (3500 rpm is barely audible now). It is still far from my Late 2013’s fan performance, but good enough.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
A little update: I’ve sent back the unit to Apple, they replaced it and gave me a new computer. The new one is much better! It seems not only the fans switch on much later than in the previous instance, but cool down the computer faster and are also more quiet (3500 rpm is barely audible now). It is still far from my Late 2013’s fan performance, but good enough.

Indeed, sounds like was a bad contact with heatsink or something before.. should not have been idling with fans at 2500 unless ambient temperature was very hot.

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
Like to continue this discussion and ask all of you with the MacBook Pro 15" (2018) if you are able to hear the fans when the computer is running idle at around 2000 rpm?

I just received mine and find the fan noise slightly annoying at 2000 rpm, like a constant low windy noise. A relief when I turn the computer off. Never experienced this before with any of my previous MacBook Pros, the last one being the MacBook Pro 15" 2012, retina model. I am thinking of buying the 13" model instead since it is apparently more silent? But I really like the 15" model in all other aspects, so would feel really bad replacing it with the 13"...

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Like to continue this discussion and ask all of you with the MacBook Pro 15" (2018) if you are able to hear the fans when the computer is running idle at around 2000 rpm?

I just received mine and find the fan noise slightly annoying at 2000 rpm, like a constant low windy noise. A relief when I turn the computer off. Never experienced this before with any of my previous MacBook Pros, the last one being the MacBook Pro 15" 2012, retina model. I am thinking of buying the 13" model instead since it is apparently more silent? But I really like the 15" model in all other aspects, so would feel really bad replacing it with the 13"...

No, I definitely cannot hear the fans below ~2600 rpm. 2000 is like total silence, even in a very-very silent room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.