Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lysenko.anthony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
So my story is... MacBook Pro 2019 15"... Laptop I bought from second hand when it was under warranty. Now warranty has already expired.

Until recently I was using MacBook only connected to the power supply.
Now my user scenarios has been changed and I started to use it without power adaptor.

I have a concern about working time of my Macbook from the battery: it lasts 2-3 hours only. Scenario: Brightness around 50%, WiFI, connected to Zoom call, Bluetooth headphones + Browser. If Safari - 3 hours, if Chrome around 2-2.5 hours.

I don't think it is normal.

So I started my research in internet. So far what I found out that I am not using correct power adaptor. It is supposed to be 87W, I received from the seller 61W (A1947 model which normally comes with 13 inc MacBook). I have noticed it just today. Plus the charging cable looks like not an apple original.

CoconutBattery results below.

So, I am looking for advice.
1) How many hours MacBook 15 inc. 2019 normally should last under above mentioned scenario of usage?
2) Should I buy proper power adaptor 87 or 95 watts, is there a chance it will help to bring battery performance to normal?
3) I have a small doubt maybe battery inside was replaced by previous owner on non original? Is there some way to check it?
Design capacity is 7336. I have a feeling it is kind of low.
4) Any other suggestions in my situation?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Feb 04 05-54-21.png
    Screenshot at Feb 04 05-54-21.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 160

reini1305

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
First, yes you got the wrong adapter, I have the same MacBook and a 86W adapter. This should only affect how long it takes to charge up (it might even discharge under high load). But the battery life looks normal to me. I have the same crap battery life under the scenarios you mentioned, never got more than 4h out of it. As you can see from the attached screenshot we even have almost the same battery health.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 10.03.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 10.03.03.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.