Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011
2.2GHz i7
8GB RAM
AMD GPU

Battery expanded massively so I replaced it and at the same time added an SSD and moved the original HDD into DVD bay.

Installed MacOS Sierra onto SSD and booted and worked as usual.

Had some install issues getting Bootcamp to play nice but eventually got Windows 8.1 working fine (minus audio) on the HDD.

Was installing and copying files while on windows. When I went back to it appeared off, though I guess it could have been sleeping due to whatever settings Windows defaulted.

Now when I try to power on the fans spin up for a very short time then stop. The front status light flashes once. Nothing on screen.

It seems like the macbook is purposely cutting the power.

I am aware of AMD GPU issues with this machine, how can I know for sure if it is or is not that...there had ben no gfx glitches leading up to this.

I obviously can't reset the NVRAM as it doesn't power on properly.

Have tried removing the battery and SMC reset. No change.

Have tried removing battery and forcing power cycle by holding power 10 secs, inserting power cable, continuing to hold power button another 10 secs then releasing. It doesn't try to power on until i release the button, as you would expect, however it only manages to keep the fans going an extra second at most.

Have changed the power board to no effect.

With any combination of battery and cable plugged in/out it does the same thing.

Anyone wise enough to help me tackle this?

Thank you for your help.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It definitely doesn't sound like the same symptoms I got when my 2011 died, but regardless, if not now your GPU would kill it soon anyway.

When my GPU died though, I could get into Safe Mode and Apple Hardware Diagnostics no problem

arkade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
It's sad that there is no one who thinks they know the problem :(

arkade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
He'll definitely say its a current sensor and/or resistor...

arkade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for your responses. I know which ones would be the culprit if that were the case...but I would like to hear from anyone else who has had these symptoms.

HernyTech

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2022
Could you solve your problem? I have the same symtoms on my Macbook Pro 2011 15‘‘ Model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.