Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Hi there,

Quite new to this forum although I’ve made an account quite a while ago. Big Apple fan, power user and love the brand since I was a teenager. Living in Amsterdam.

I have a bit of a problem with my Macbook Pro, and I want to know the opinion of people on this forum who are most likely much more technical than I am haha. So here it goes:

December 2018 I bought my Macbook Pro 15 inch with high end specs, costing me around 3800 euros. For a guy my age, this was a lot of money but I saw it as an investment for my carreer (graphic design etc.). Now, +/- 3 years later it suddenly got broken. I restarted the Macbook, because it was being a bit slow. When it restarted, the screen stopped turning on for some reason. I had it hooked up to a cinema display via mini displayport and that also stopped working.

I went to the Apple store to ask what was going on and they told me that they would research it. 4 days later I was told the screen needed to be replaced because it was broken and did not work anymore. I was really confused as I used this Macbook very carefully, mainly hooked up to my Cinema Display. Also the fact that it stopped working after a restart made me think it was a software issue, not a hardware issue. I refused the replacement and wanted to see what else was possible.

Now, a month later, I tried to boot the Macbook again, but the battery was dead so I hooked it up to a charger. And suddenly the screen shows the ‘charge battery’ icon! The screen was broken they said, but here it is showing the icon… Weird right? When I charged it, it still refused to boot but the mouseclick works (this was the case already when I went to the Apple store) so the computer itself isn’t dead.

My question is: Is there anyone that is familiar with this issue, and do you reckon it’s a software fault or a hardware fault? I really refuse to believe it’s due to a hardware defect, since it does show the charge battery icon!

Kind regards,

Meter

Attachments

• twitter_5d2cac54d2966e682f3d8139341e3e8f.jpeg
    twitter_5d2cac54d2966e682f3d8139341e3e8f.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 175

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
it works on your external monitor now?
Just format and reinstall macos fresh and lets hope its fixed.

Not a technician and i only started to use macbooks and macos since 2021, but that sounds like the first next step

Reactions: Meter

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If you screen turned on, it might not entirely be bad, but something is definitely going on. I would suggest you have Apple take a second diagnostic assessment and have them take care of it.

Reactions: Meter

Meter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
it works on your external monitor now?
Just format and reinstall macos fresh and lets hope its fixed.

Not a technician and i only started to use macbooks and macos since 2021, but that sounds like the first next step
No it does not work on the external monitor, that has been broken also when the screen didn't function properly anymore. I can't do a reinstall since I can't get it to work on the normal screen and an external screen.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Now, a month later, I tried to boot the Macbook again, but the battery was dead so I hooked it up to a charger. And suddenly the screen shows the ‘charge battery’ icon! The screen was broken they said, but here it is showing the icon… Weird right? When I charged it, it still refused to boot but the mouseclick works (this was the case already when I went to the Apple store) so the computer itself isn’t dead.
Hi Meter.
With the Mac charged, did you heard the startup sound when turning it on?
After turning it on and wait for a couple of minutes, the CAPS LOCK LED key turn on/off when you press it?

Also, try the SMC reset with the machine powered off: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.