Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afrojazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2021
Hi All, i had a look at various topics but havent found clear answer yet. Hoping you can help. I am looking at a monitor for my Mac, i mainly use it for browisng and photo edit, not much more. I havent been very active in photography recently but now trying to focus on it so i am looking for a support - what monitor would you advise to purchase, given the machine being not so high spec, but in very good condition. I had a look at threads and many of you talk about compatibility and issues with HDMI etc, Dell and BenQ have been discussed.

At this point i am wondering is it worth upgrading the machine to something like iMac 27inch or maybe mac book pro 16 inch , and get a screen then, as it feels as if i am making a lot of compromises investing in a screen that is not super modern due to the fact machine cant handle anything more fancy. Or it will handle it, but the issues with resolution will hit me etc.

Model I was looking at was:

27-inch Designer Monitor with QHD,100% sRGB, HDR, USB-C | PD2705Q​

I also know people mentioned its best to try and get second hand Thunderbolt display ....

I am not very techy but also dont want to waste money, i just want a good gear that can last years and be decent quality:)

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
I use a Dell P2415Q, it's a 24" 4K IPS display, so I can use it as a "retina" display. It's basically for me as sharp as my rMBP. 99% sRGB coverage and every display is color calibrated by Dell.
The downside: It's no longer being produced. So you would probably have to buy it used. I bought it refurbished for 209 Euros so it's a very cheap alternative and I am super satisfied with it.

• Love
Reactions: afrojazz

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
I strongly advice against a "regular" display with 1080p for 24" or so... Once you go retina, you can't go back. Your late 2013 rMBP is capable of 4k 60hz via displayport and that's what I suggest

• Love
Reactions: afrojazz

afrojazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2021
Thanks so much for your help. Will explore this and see if the new releases - whenever they are - could help me to perhaps make decision on trade in and buying new Mac pro or similar, as i recon soon i won't be able to trade in for much value , currently shows 200£ so already not crazy :D

afrojazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2021
c
I use a Dell P2415Q, it's a 24" 4K IPS display, so I can use it as a "retina" display. It's basically for me as sharp as my rMBP. 99% sRGB coverage and every display is color calibrated by Dell.
The downside: It's no longer being produced. So you would probably have to buy it used. I bought it refurbished for 209 Euros so it's a very cheap alternative and I am super satisfied with it.
an i ask what cables do you use pleasE? i read so many complaints about dell being messy to connect to Mac, and i am leaning towards Asus or BenQ due to the fact there are less issues with connectivity.
I have an eye on Dell below but i don't know if i will face issues with cables and i am not willing to be changing them often haha

Dell U2719D UltraSharp 27 Inch​

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
c

an i ask what cables do you use pleasE? i read so many complaints about dell being messy to connect to Mac, and i am leaning towards Asus or BenQ due to the fact there are less issues with connectivity.
I have an eye on Dell below but i don't know if i will face issues with cables and i am not willing to be changing them often haha

Dell U2719D UltraSharp 27 Inch​

This and it works very well. I think many people just use some random HDMI cable and then it does not work properly for 4K with 60hz because it's HDMI 1.4 or so. We have two of those monitors and one M1 Mini and my rMBP and both work well with Displayport cables. The M1 uses some USB-C to Displayport cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.