Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lememoire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2021
Dear all,

I have been using a Macbook Pro 15" mid-2015 since August 2015. It has top specs like 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Big Sur is the OS.

Since I bought it, I have never cleaned the dust inside or renewed its thermal paste. Fanny shows CPU temperature around 40 Celcius when I have only two tabs open on Safari. The temperature increases with heavier workload and probably I have seen maximum close to 90 Celcius when I ran multiple apps such Photoshop with Safari etc...

I believe the laptop needs a cleaning inside and renewal of thermal paste. I don't know how long it will last without any problems if I start using it heavily for long time periods.

I live in UK and consulted with couple of local computer repair shops about cleaning and thermal paste renewal. One quoted around £70 and another did around £120.

I checked some videos and guides about how I can do it myself but I am not sure. I'm not really familiar with it and fear that I may "break it down while fixing it".

I really need some advice. I'm not short of such amount of money but I'm not employed at the moment.

Thank you.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Find a computer repair ship in suburb and tell them the age and it need a clean out and new terms paste applied! I would go more on reputation of the shop than price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.