Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinfbg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2018
Madrid
Before everything, I did this video to explain my problem, after you can read the rest of the post.

---

I have one year and a half with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), lovely performance, no problem at all until this weekend.

Before Note: I´m from Costa Rica, I bought my MacBook Pro in United States and now I´m living in Madrid.

Let´s start:
I´ve always delayed the software upgrade because I did not need it, but I did it this weekend and my nightmare officially started.

I was working editing a video when suddenly a kind of pixelated dot started to appear in my display, then went black (the computer continued running).

I restarted the computer, the welcoming sound started, the keyboard had light, the charger was functioning well, but the display had a light black color.

Then, I connected the computer to a monitor via HDMI and was able to see my desktop and do everything normally, so at least I know the computer is ok; when I disconnected the HDMI my screen started to have image for about 4-5 seconds, then went black other 2-3 seconds, again the desktop image like a flashing effect, that repeating approximately 2-3 minutes.

I searched the web for possible solutions and I did literally everything I could. The PRAM (Cmd + Option + P + R), the SMC (Shift + Option + Control + Power), the Recover Mode (Cmd + R), the Safe Mode and also I reinstalled the software again. NOTHING WORKED!

I took the computer to an official Apple Store in Madrid, and they gave me the ********* customer service just because I didn’t have an appointment, so I get one, but until the next Wednesday.

In between, I went to other two Apple certified centers, in the first one they didn’t know what it could be, and in the second one they said it could be a problem with the screen (wow, obvious enough, face palm), and that reparation would cost about 600/700 euros aprox $850 dollars.

I am so disappointed with everything, the customer service, the fact that I spent $1900 on a computer that worked so well before the software upgrade, and after doing it something went so wrong that gave me a problem with the screen, the reparation cost almost the half of the cost of my laptop, and all of this feels like I´m the only one in the world to be ****ed up with this.

At this point, don´t know what else to do...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm...
Does the screen stay on when you try a macOS reinstall - then only give a problem when you try to boot to the installed system?
Or, does the screen ALWAYS turn off/go black, regardless of how you boot?
Can you boot to Diagnostics (Restart while holding D), which will boot to the built-in diagnostics. Does the screen stay on during THAT test? Do you get an error code from that diagnostics test?

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Less start simple. It could be hardware or it could be software.

If hardware: You got unlucky and it just happened to show up when you changed software. How would you identify a hardware problem? I’d expect to see the same symptoms no matter which operating system you boot from. What happens when you boot from recovery (cmd-r) or diagnostics as suggested above? Can you boot from any external systems? What to do if it’s hardware—you’ll need to have Apple fix it.

If software: How would you identify a software problem? Boot from another system and observe everything working ok. Try recovery or diagnostics. Make sure you’ve installed all of the latest software updates. You should be running High Sierra (10.13.4), not Sierra.

Let us know what you figure out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.