Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adisoadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2022
My Macbook Pro 2015 Retina Display (touchbar version) screen went black. I try to increase the brightness using the touchbar brightness control to no avail.
I also tried the slider in the Displays setting (I am able to access the computer by connecting it to an external monitor using a cable). I also turned on and off the Auto Brightness option.

I found out when I press the power button to start the MacBook, the apple icon shows on the external monitor. If I open up a lid afterward, the MacBook screen shows fine for half a second, but then goes black again. This happens occasionally and I don't understand exactly when. I am just trying random stuff (open lid, connect to external monitor, close lid again, open, etc).

I tried CMD + R but I got the padlock screen where I have to enter the firmware password which I don't know.

What options do I have?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Odd. But if you'd check the screen with a lighter for the image there? Maybe backlight is the problem, not the whole display.
But replacement will cost apparently

adisoadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2022
I brought it to an Apple store. They got it in the backroom to check it. Came back five minutes later saying the cable that connects the screen to the other parts has been broken. They said it will cost 700 USD to change it.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I brought it to an Apple store. They got it in the backroom to check it. Came back five minutes later saying the cable that connects the screen to the other parts has been broken. They said it will cost 700 USD to change it.
If indeed the cable went wrong you are lucky. It costs only $15.

Any knowledgeable technician would be able to exchange it for you, it's a pretty straightforward procedure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.