Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metrixc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Hi there,

I recently got my MBP 16'. When I rest my palm on my case it makes a creaking sound when even the slightest bit of pressure is applied to the wrist/palm rest area. With me it is on the left side next to the trackpad. You can try it yourself by pressing slightly on the mentioned area.
Any idea what this could be?
Just curious if other people also have it and if a visit to the Apple Store might be necessary.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

metrixc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
To everyone that is having this problem. Here is what I did. I had to go to the Apple Store twice to convince them that it was a hardware issue. The second employee was really helpful and told me, that it could be related to the gluing of the battery and the lower parts attached to it. Apple then shipped it in and they replaced the lower part, which btw. also includes a new battery since it is all one part. So don't let them talk it off, stay on it.

Best regards and luck to all of you.

Thomas

The Main Event

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
I recently received a replacement MBP 16" from Apple and started noticing this. Seems to randomly click on the left hand side of the computer. Starting to wonder if I should ask for another replacement within their 14 days window if it keeps getting worse.

This was one of my first major issues with the 2016 model as well. But the popping sound was a lot more pronounced.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.