Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macharles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I just got my new 16 inch MacBook Pro and I am very satisfied overall but I recently experienced a weird sound (sounds like metal rattling) when I have my Laptop on my chest or when I gently touch the bottom.
It seems to be a hardware issue and I am now thinking of returning the machine.. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with their new Laptop?

Here is a link of the specific sound I am talking about.
Youtube : LINK

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
I just got my new 16 inch MacBook Pro and I am very satisfied overall but I recently experienced a weird sound (sounds like metal rattling) when I have my Laptop on my chest or when I gently touch the bottom.
It seems to be a hardware issue and I am now thinking of returning the machine.. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with their new Laptop?

Here is a link of the specific sound I am talking about.
Youtube : LINK
Not that same sound, but I had to return my first unit for similar reasons - in my case, it was the top case, where the right palm rests had creaks radiating all the way thru the right speaker grill.

Appreciate if u can post your manufacturer date, for the benefit of the rest of us if there are batch related issues. Also check if u have any other issues incl. text ghosting when scrolling (esp. white text on black background)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
There are batteries, connector cables, and other structures under there. If you you flex the case as in your video you are bound to be pressing against something. If you are concerned take it to the Apple store and compare it to the display models, and if yours is different exchange it.

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
Just got my 16". Case makes creaking sound when even the slightest bit of pressure is applied to the wrist/palm rest area. When I flip the laptop around and apply slight pressure to the bottom case, I get a similar result. Doesn't really bother me, so I won't take it in, but just wanted to share.

Macharles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Not that same sound, but I had to return my first unit for similar reasons - in my case, it was the top case, where the right palm rests had creaks radiating all the way thru the right speaker grill.

Appreciate if u can post your manufacturer date, for the benefit of the rest of us if there are batch related issues. Also check if u have any other issues incl. text ghosting when scrolling (esp. white text on black background)

Okay well I guess I was really unlucky with mine as I am also experiencing the quite common Popping sound on Youtube and other sites.. and my Touch Bar freezes from time to time -.- Didn't experience text ghosting though..
My manufacturer date is 18 November 2019.
[automerge]1575584808[/automerge]
Just got my 16". Case makes creaking sound when even the slightest bit of pressure is applied to the wrist/palm rest area. When I flip the laptop around and apply slight pressure to the bottom case, I get a similar result. Doesn't really bother me, so I won't take it in, but just wanted to share.

Thanks for sharing! It wouldn't bother me if this laptop would only cost one thousand dollars but with this premium price of 4200 dollars (in Europe) I expect my brand new laptop to arrive without any flaws..

Last edited:

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
Okay well I guess I was really unlucky with mine as I am also experiencing the quite common Popping sound on Youtube and other sites.. and my Touch Bar freezes from time to time -.- Didn't experience text ghosting though..
My manufacturer date is 18 November 2019.
[automerge]1575584808[/automerge]

Thanks for sharing! It wouldn't bother me if this laptop would only cost one thousand dollars but with this premium price of 4200 dollars (in Europe) I expect my brand new laptop to arrive without any flaws..

Yes, that's a fair point. I wouldn't judge anyone for wanting to get this replaced/fixed. Definitely a costly purchase for many people.

Reactions: Macharles

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Are you sure the bottom case just isn't not clipped in? Don't know about the 16" but the older models for example had two push clips for the middle of the bottom case to seat into. I had one that was hollow and flexy in the middle, turns outthe bottom case never got seated fully in those clips and reseating/pressing the bottom case clipped it in and it was fine after.

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
Are you sure the bottom case just isn't not clipped in? Don't know about the 16" but the older models for example had two push clips for the middle of the bottom case to seat into. I had one that was hollow and flexy in the middle, turns outthe bottom case never got seated fully in those clips and reseating/pressing the bottom case clipped it in and it was fine after.

I'll have to try that after work!

alaminnshaikh

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I am experiencing the same thing. When I gently rub my hand on the bottom left corner it makes a small click sound. And that area also get slightly pressed unlike a rock solid area like the palm rest. When I gently press the bottom case (almost anywhere) I can feel that the case touches something and won't get down any further.

I tried the push clips thing but seems it's already attached and wont make further snaps. From my research I found that most of the MacBook's bottom case get slightly pressed. Wondering if it's true and normal behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.