Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lumchai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
I've made a few other posts previously about my MBP thermals and they seem to be a little better in regards to the IDLE temps.

The idle CPU and GPU temps seem to sit at about 45-50c in Bootcamp plugged into an external monitor at 75Hz 1080p clamshell mode.

With turbo boost disabled and and custom fan settings using macs fan control, in most games the GPU sits at around 78c - 81c Max. and the CPU at about 76-78c.

My average gaming sessions are around 3 hours and on the off days 4-5 hours max.

Whilst doing other work such as compiling/coding and light browsing/work, I'm using MacOS with average temps of 43c IDLE GPU & CPU, I rarely game in MacOS so the only real use of the GPU is to power the external display.

My question is how would the longevity of the GPU and CPU hold up if I averaged roughly 18-20 hours of gaming per week along with other light-medium computer usage in reference to the thermals stated above? I'm interested as to whether the GPU has a decent lifespan considering? Cheers

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
It'll be fine, don't worry and just enjoy the computer. By the time things burnt out, you'd be well onto a new machine (Like 10-15 years).

Manufacturers usually limit the temps to below 100'c, which means after that point, it can cause damage - not below that point. And in all likelihood, it would need to reach well above that temperature to cause any damage (Playing it safe). The computer automatically shuts down at 105'c too, so the chances of any actual damage assuming everything is in working order is next to none.

Laptops also run hotter than desktops, due to basic thermal limits.

Reactions: lumchai

lumchai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
It'll be fine, don't worry and just enjoy the computer. By the time things burnt out, you'd be well onto a new machine (Like 10-15 years).

Manufacturers usually limit the temps to below 100'c, which means after that point, it can cause damage - not below that point. And in all likelihood, it would need to reach well above that temperature to cause any damage (Playing it safe). The computer automatically shuts down at 105'c too, so the chances of any actual damage assuming everything is in working order is next to none.

Laptops also run hotter than desktops, due to basic thermal limits.
Thanks for that, just been pretty paranoid lately about how hot the thing gets (especially the CPU!) Was also worried about the GPU burning out as I've heard that they tend to go quicker than the CPU does in Laptops. My main concern was just damage due to the thermals as it's an expensive machine and I'm wanting to keep it for 5+ years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.