Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hey Guys,

I have a MBP 16 M2 Pro since a few months and juste came up to realize a maybe not so strange thing but wanting to confirm :

When I CLOSE my screen lid from grand open wons to completly close, I can feel the stiffness of the hinge all the way until I am about 20° angle between the keyboard and the lid.
At this point I can feel the stiffness is less for the last 20° and is even quite light for the last 5-10° up to final closure. Means it take not a very big hit to make it close when 10-15° open.
It feels like the hinge is quite stiff down to a certain small angle, as to make it easier to close the Mac at the end of the course.

I tested on a M1 Air but it is mega stiff all the way down, so was wondering is it intentional or is it like the 16" screen making it like this ?

However it is quite the same stiffness all the way when OPENING it.

Same feeling for you ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is it still under warranty?
Is there a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near you?
If so, why not take it in for a check?

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hey Fishrrman, thanks for replying !

Good timing, I just went to an Apple Store and checked on a MBP 16 exposed and the hinge behave exactly the same as mine, so it seems it on purpose that the hinge is quite less stiffer than on precedent generations !

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hey again, just additional infos if anyone is coming to this thread again.

I went to another Apple Store and the 16 inches Mac hinges were pretty stiff all the way down, stiffer than mine.
I showed my Mac to a guy at the Genius Bar and he said to check the Mac they need to take an appointment and give it to a technician for eventual tear down...

As it is only a difference that does not impact the functions, and also the hinge stay in position even at small angles, does not close by itself, I preferred not to go further in the process for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.