Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckylegion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Second time iv just noticed my macbook make a loud crack sound that i could literally feel with my hands on the chassis. Was very loud and only lasted a second. The laptop was opened while cold to the touch and then 25 mins in into use it happened. Not a huge issue but curious if like coil whine its a common issue.

Issues like this are a nightmare to talk to apple about because its hard to replicate or diagnose

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Haven't heard of that. On the latter point, you could start recording your work sessions until it happens. Video with sound works for talking to Apple.

Itada

macrumors member
If it's one or two isolated loud crack/pop noises as it gets warmer, that's been a thing since the Touch Bar 15" models too, and it happened for the entire life of my 2016 TB 15" (before I sold it). It's something to do with the screen glass or display assembly, apparently. Here's another thread discussing it with a video, where you can hear the loud pop/crack noise happen at 1m43s:

Reactions: Sanpete

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
If it's one or two isolated loud crack/pop noises as it gets warmer, that's been a thing since the Touch Bar 15" models too, and it happened for the entire life of my 2016 TB 15" (before I sold it). It's something to do with the screen glass or display assembly, apparently. Here's another thread discussing it with a video, where you can hear the loud pop/crack noise happen at 1m43s:

Yes, I have a similar issue with my MBP 2017. Especially when getting from colder to warmer. As soon as the whole chassis gets the room temperature those cracking sounds stop. It is a small but yet quite annoying (loud) issue.

phil_m34

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
I have the same issue with my macbook pro 16. Cracks whenever the fan engages it seems, whenever I start an app that takes resources pretty much. Trying to get to the bottom of it. Any advice would help. It happened pretty much out of the box for me.

rishipatel1231

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 16 inch as well and sometimes, like when my login items (startup items) or heavy apps are starting, I hear small cracking noises coming from the palm rest, sometimes on left and sometimes on the right. When I press on the the general area the first time where I heard the cracks, I hear something make a very small crumpling noise. After that , when I press nothing makes a noise. Did your noises come from around palmrest or closer to the display hinge. Mine do not come from the display hinge and when I press on the center bottom of the lid near the center of the hinge, I do not hear any popping noises as described in other threads.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I’ve noticed the case making a cracking when I pick it up sometimes. I figured it’s just the bottom case adjusting itself, which it may do itself due to expansion and contraction. I’m not concerned.

rishipatel1231

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Have you noticed if your MacBook Pro hinge makes a super small mouse-click sound when trying to close it after it has been open at an angle of more than 90 degrees for some time? I sometimes hear it on the right side of the hinge after it has been open all the way for about 10 minutes or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.