Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strongPanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
MacBook Pro 16" M1 - Keys leaving marks on the screen: Can a Magnetic Screen Protector Make My Screen Cleaner?

Problem Description
I have noticed some marks on the screen of my MacBook Pro 16" M1, which seem to be caused by the keys touching the screen. I have never carried the laptop in a backpack or put any heavy items on the lid. The marks can be wiped off with a damp cloth, but I am worried that they might damage the screen over time. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Proposed Solution
I am wondering if a magnetic screen protector would solve my problem. It would protect the screen from the oil and dust on the keys when I close the laptop. However, I am also concerned that the screen protector might crack the screen due to the force. What do you think? Are there other accessories that I can buy that address this Problem?

I am planning to buy the Kensington MagPro Elite Magnetic Privacy Screen* for MacBook Pro 16” M1/M2 2021 & Newer (K58371WW). Has anyone tried it or have any recommendations for other screen protectors?
1703463877669.png

Edit:
* https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...etic-privacy-screen-filter-for-16-macbook-pro

Last edited:

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I have the same exact question too? I don't want those cheap ones from Amazon, because I am afraid it might damage the coating. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Reactions: strongPanda

strongPanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I have the same exact question too? I don't want those cheap ones from Amazon, because I am afraid it might damage the coating. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.
This one is sold in the Apple Store:

strongPanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Use a thin sheet of paper between the keys and screen. Mark the side that will touch the screen. That way you don't get your keyboard oily from fingerprints from the keyboard.

Do not use a screen protector. That could mess up your Mac. The tolerance is too small for such.
I think paper is a bad choice because it can scratch the screen. But I understand your point, a microfiber cover like radtech-screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover: https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

The screen protector is less than 0.03" thick, but is it still a bad idea?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are the "keyboard marks" worst toward the center of the display?
Do you carry the MBP in a backpack?
If so, is there stuff pressing up against it (while closed)?

Reactions: strongPanda

strongPanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Are the "keyboard marks" worst toward the center of the display?
Do you carry the MBP in a backpack?
If so, is there stuff pressing up against it (while closed)?
Yes, they are worse in the middle. Maybe it's because of my oily fingers.
No, I don't use a backpack right now, but I will next month.

rddt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2024
I don't see any evidence of screen damage on amazon reviews for a variety of both glass and plastic screen protectors, what's the risk exactly?

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
OP I’m already having this issue on a brand new 14” M3 Pro I got just a few weeks ago. Have not had it happen at all on the past several MacBooks I’ve owned.

Like you I didn’t do anything to cause the issue other than perhaps not cleaning it too regularly so far. However it’s been used pretty lightly in the short time I’ve had it, and I don’t want to get in the habit of over cleaning which isn’t good for MacBooks either, especially the screen’s delicate coating.

I think it’s the luck of the draw and some units are just more susceptible to this than others.

What was your solution? Did the screen protector work out?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.