Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbonkowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
I've just got a new MacBook Pro 16" with Radeon 5500M 4GB. I hooked it up to LG 32UD89-W 4K monitor with included USB-C cable. Initially monitor didn't work at all but after some supplemental update to Catalina it magically started working but still not properly. Now I'm getting only 30Hz 4K resolution.
In bootcamp with Windows 10, same monitor with the same cable operates in 60Hz.
DisplayPort 1.2 is enabled in monitor.
Any ideas?
Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 01.01.36.png
Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 01.01.13.png

mbonkowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Anyone has an idea how to enable at least 1080p60 in HiDPI without disabling SIP?
Ideally I would like to set 2560x1440 HiDPI at 60Hz. I use this screen with Mac Pro 5.1 with RX580 at 1440p over DisplayPort.
Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 11.58.10.png

Chronos___

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Göttingen
You need to hold down the option-key while clicking the "Scaled" radio button to bring up the hidden part of the interface. Then you're able to change the Hz. My monitor also only displayed 60hz at first - you need to change it manually.

It should look like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-07 um 12.45.10.png

mbonkowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
I can't change refresh rate after option clicking:
Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 12.51.48.png

You can see all available resolutions in Switchresx screenshot.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I looked at the LG spec page for this display.

It says that the display has
- HDMI
- displayport
- USBc

I suggest you try a different cable.
Also, try a different PORT on the back of the display.

You're going to have to start "changing things around", and keeping notes, until you find "the combination that works".

mbonkowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Can you click on any of the "XXX (low resolution)" options and are able to change it?
Yes, I can. Some 60Hz options are available but screen is obviously very fuzzy and with those options.

I looked at the LG spec page for this display.

It says that the display has
- HDMI
- displayport
- USBc

I suggest you try a different cable.
Also, try a different PORT on the back of the display.

You're going to have to start "changing things around", and keeping notes, until you find "the combination that works".

I bet that with USB-C -> DisplayPort cable would work as I expect. Problem is that I use DisplayPort to connect cMP5,1 and really want 1 cable connection with charging. I will try different USB-C cable first.

anthoj

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Hi, I know this is an old post, but was there ever a solution to this? I am running into this exact same problem. Tried everything from holding down option key, switchresx, etc. Nothing. The same cable, same port, same monitor used to work fine but one day it just forces 30Hz. Still works fine on Windows Bootcamp. Same setup, same port, same cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.