Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakatokugawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2020
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
macOS Catalina 10.15.4

I bought the MBP 4 days ago. It's both connected to the charger and LG Ultrafine 5K.
It happens everyday when the MBP goes on sleep. When I get back, I find it's off, reopen it, it shows an "unexpectedly shut down" message.
It's just terrible:eek:. Does anyone share the same quesiton? I haven't find a solution yet. (except never put my MBP on sleep.)

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
Similar machine to yours, also only a few days old. Also connected to an external Apple display.
Put it to sleep last night and, this morning, for the first time, found it had "unexpectedly" shut itself down.

I've done the following:
- Reset the SMC.
- Unchecked "Power Nap" in the Energy Saver settings.
- Updated the OS to Beta 5 of 10.15.5 (which some say contains a fix to this problem).

Will see how it goes. So far, so good.
I think this is software rather than hardware related, from what I can tell.

Reactions: kakatokugawa

kakatokugawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2020
Similar machine to yours, also only a few days old. Also connected to an external Apple display.
Put it to sleep last night and, this morning, for the first time, found it had "unexpectedly" shut itself down.

I've done the following:
- Reset the SMC.
- Unchecked "Power Nap" in the Energy Saver settings.
- Updated the OS to Beta 5 of 10.15.5 (which some say contains a fix to this problem).

Will see how it goes. So far, so good.
I think this is software rather than hardware related, from what I can tell.

Thanks a lot! It works.

Last edited:

ckmaes

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne
It seems to be a common issue with the 16-inch MacBook Pro, apparently related to macOS 10.15.4. Early reports state that the latest betas of 10.15.5 (beta 4 and 5) seem to resolve the issue.

Kiro

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Germany, Leipzig
Is there something known with Monterey? I have the latest version of macOS on my Macbook Pro and I got the unexpected shutdown a lot lately. Also, today it won‘t boot (the boot loadingbar after entering my password is stuck at 3/4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.