Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamisapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
I just got a beautiful MacBook Pro 17" (2006) and It does this weird thing when I turn it on. It shows an Apple Logo, then a Progress Bar (But it only fills to 5% then disappears) and then the Spinning Icon below the Apple shows up and nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Adam

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If you still have the Snow Leopard DVD, then boot from it by booting while holding down the C key. Then choose Disk Utility. When the disk utility window is open make a note of the S.M.A.R.T. status in the lower right hand corner. If it is anything other than "verified", your hard drive is dying and needs to be replaced.

Next choose Repair Disk and see if Disk Utility can repair the disk. If it can and the S.M.A.R.T. status is "verified", see if you can reboot normally.

If the S.M.A.R.T. state is not verified, shut down and do not start up again until you have an external drive available to make a back up of your drive.

You can download the old version of Carbon Copy Cloner, ver. 3.5 to clone your drive: http://bombich.com/download

adamisapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
Unfortunately I do not have the CD as I bought this MacBook Pro online and do not have a copy of Snow Leopard myself.
-Adam

adamisapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
I did try that and it said "Modified Macintosh HD" but still the same issue. I don't have backups because I just got it today.
-Adam

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Since you collect Apple computers you could try connecting to the 17" MBP via Target disk from one of your other Macs and test the MBP internal drive.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Target disk mode is an excellent suggestion, but if you just got delivery today, I suggest you return it to whoever sold it to you and ask for a refund.
[doublepost=1456179812][/doublepost]If you don't have as system DVD and won't buy a firewire cable, you are pretty much out of options unless you want to take the drive out of the Mac and put it into an external USB case.

adamisapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
It was working in all pictures, and was tested before shipping. Im thinking the drive bracket came loose during shipping. This happened to my MacBook Pro 2012. Ill have to open it up later to check it out.
[doublepost=1456180113][/doublepost]Also ill add that when I hold Option during boot my only option is EFI Boot. No Macintosh HD.
-Adam
[doublepost=1456180214][/doublepost]After work Ill also pickup a firewire cable and try that before disassembling the whole thing

adamisapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
So I took the hard drive drive out and plugged it into my Newer MacBook Pro, and ran FirstAid, then put it back in. Works perfectly! Thanks to everyone for all your help!
-Adam

Reactions: stephen1108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.