Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
So.. i read about similar problems here, but no one exactly like this. It started out like the classic "black screen, wont boot, but hard drive running" however i could start it with reset, hold down alt, cmd, p, r,. and it would run fine. But now it wont start at all. It makes a starting noise for about a second, then makes the force quit noice and shuts down. if i hold the power button down for a few seconds it tries to start up, but then dies after holding for 5-6 seconds. another thing, when i try removing the battery and run only the power chord. NOTHING happens when i push the power button. when plugged in the battery is charging like normal, and the power chord is lit orange. iv done ALL possible resets. could it be the battery? harddrive? I know the power suply works, tested it on girfriends macbook. im quite desperate as this is my work computer, and not everything is backed up at the moment... thanx for any reply.

Last edited:

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Sounds like a logic board. It does not appear to be the 8600gt problem. I have heard people get it repaired for $300 but i have also heard $1300.

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
thanx. yeah its off to Apple store today. This one is all kinds of dead... You´d think a 3 grand computer would last a little longer than two and a half years...

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
funny thing.. if i remove the RAM, it actually kind of starts, well it doesnt boot up, and it makes that "hey thers no ram" noise every other second, but the harddrive seems to spin and the cd i left in starts spinning. so maybe the rams fried. or everything else... this is driving me nuts, and of course theres no support on weekends. so i have to wait to monday. FML

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
Fry your logic board with a heat gun to "reflow" it.
I started a thread on it ("I took a heat gun to my logic board"). It worked, although I have to redo it every 1-3 weeks.

If you've given it up for dead, you might want to try it.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
funny thing.. if i remove the RAM, it actually kind of starts, well it doesnt boot up, and it makes that "hey thers no ram" noise every other second, but the harddrive seems to spin and the cd i left in starts spinning. so maybe the rams fried. or everything else... this is driving me nuts, and of course theres no support on weekends. so i have to wait to monday. FML

Well, do you have some other RAM to see if RAM's the issue?

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
thx for the advice on frying the logic board. dont have a heat gun though.
i tried !!LOL!! warming the whole mac in the oven. ( didnt feel stupid at all..:)) ) very low temperature though.. but nothin happened. ill see if i can open it up and find the logic board, i think i saw a video somewhere on how to do it. sadly i dont have another RAM to test with. Thx to everyone for replying, i really appreciate it!!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

don't heat up your mac in the oven unless you want your battery to turn into a hand grenade. If you use the heat gun trick it may work but keep it off the battery, or better yet remove the battery to do it

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
no i didnt heat the battery.. :):):) however, top cover removed, and now i can actually physically see the harddrive shutting down. but where exactly is the logic board, is it the whole thing? the big green circuit board? it looks to be in great shape, nothing looks burnt, disconnected or damaged in anyway. this is really trial and error..

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
This photo is the logic board. Circled area is where I concentrate the heat (first time, I heated everywhere...not necessary).

There is a good guide in the Internet on how to remove the logic board (which I can't locate at this time).

You need:
T-6 Torx screw driver
#0 Phillips screw driver
and a "pudger" or small flathead screwdriver to lift/flip out wires.

there are approx. 19 screws to remove (not counting the outside case).
And 8 or more wire connectors.
**Keep track of where the screws came from and where the wires connect, so you can get it back together properly.

And probably a good idea to reapply some fresh heat paste (google it).

Try to find the logic board removal guide on the Internet...

Attachments

• mbp08logic.jpg
    mbp08logic.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 164

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
thx for the info!!! i´ll see if i give it a try or suck it up and go to apple. i just found out we have a law here in sweden that you as consumer have a 3 year warranty on these products, and if i can prove that this is the manufacturers fault, bad components etc. they have to repair or replace free of charge. so im gonna try my luck with that one. but if that fails i guess its off to by a heat gun and have fun. think im gonna buy a new mbp anyway, so it´ll be fun to experiment on this one. i´ll keep you posted! and again thanx so much for helping out!!

robgoblin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Stockholm
ok. i baked the logic board in the oven, put it back in, and screen lits up!!!! chime!!! then dies again. at one point i actually saw the apple logo just before it died. should i bake it again? its crazy but this works!! sort of.. im baffled. btw i didnt have any thermal paste, and it was nearly all gone, maybe thats why it dies? like a safety overheat thing?

edit

ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!! BUT it shuts down when it gets too hot. i guess thats the missing thermal paste. putt putt if ure ever in stockholm ill buy u a beer. !!!!!!

So thermal paste applied. everything is running perfect. im typing this on the former dead macbook pro. baked logic board and new paste. and a proper dust off... im crazy happy!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.