Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dms77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
Hi All,

First post here - I see there are various threads related to over heating MBP's. However I would like to know if its possible if a swelled battery could be causing overheating?

My touch pad has been pushed out - it still responds, but cannot be clicked. This tells me the battery has swelled, and needs to be replaced.

My question though is - would the overheating be solved if I replace the battery? And would the touch pad work correctly again once the swelled battery has been replaced?

Many thanks,

Darren

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi All,

My touch pad has been pushed out - it still responds, but cannot be clicked. This tells me the battery has swelled, and needs to be replaced.

You need to get the battery out of there ASAP. Swollen batteries are very, very dangerous.

The trackpad should work okay after that, though that is dependant on if the battery caused any damage. Some people found the glass on the trackpad cracked as a result of battery swelling.

Dms77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
You need to get the battery out of there ASAP. Swollen batteries are very, very dangerous.

The trackpad should work okay after that, though that is dependant on if the battery caused any damage. Some people found the glass on the trackpad cracked as a result of battery swelling.

Thanks Keys - any comment on the overheating.. Im hesitant to buy a new battery if it may not work.. So I just left the old one in and am not using the machine

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Keys - any comment on the overheating.. Im hesitant to buy a new battery if it may not work.. So I just left the old one in and am not using the machine

Could well cause it to run a little toasty, though it's difficult to definitively say. Regardless, while you've got the bottom off, it may be worth checking the fans. There might be quite a lot of dust & gunk built up over time.

A liberal dose of compressed air might be all your little laptop needs; a quick spring clean could get it running cool as a cucumber. :)

Dms77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
Could well cause it to run a little toasty, though it's difficult to definitively say. Regardless, while you've got the bottom off, it may be worth checking the fans. There might be quite a lot of dust & gunk built up over time.

A liberal dose of compressed air might be all your little laptop needs; a quick spring clean could get it running cool as a cucumber. :)
Great thanks, I actually cleaned the fans out when I replaced the ram about a year ago - So I guess need to just take the chance.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.