Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcrush

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Well, ordered the Correct wireless card as stated above, but was unable to install this on a 13" 2010 macbook pro, as the card originally in it is smaller, and the connector is different from the new one, the old card's connector slides in and clicks, while the new cards connect is a on top push to click connector. did I order the wrong card or am i SOL?

Do you have pics of both? Mine was a 15" so I don't know what the 13" connectors look like. Almost sounds like the 13" is using some mPCIe connector? Don't know.

Wollo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Thank you so much for the very good howTo

But i have a question:)

I haven't start this "project" yet, my airport card comes tomorrow.

Where must i cut?

http://imgu.de/umX0OD

Is this the right place?

Maybe you could post a picture if i am wrong.

Sorry for my bad English...

I have a macbook pro mid 2010 15''

Last edited:

Wollo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks!

Good howTo

after i replaced the new card, everything worked thanks guys!

LoveHateMacs

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
I also have 2 mid 2010 13" MBPs and are wondering about dongle or card, hearing the different stories about whether dongle can work or not (have them coming in the mail-will try them and let y'all know)..any final word on which (any) card we can use in this model (even tho I know we're in a 15" thread!)...this is the best source going for this info right now and would like to see it keep rolling

webcrush

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
I know what it says, I'm simply relaying my experiences. The only thing I can think of that may be different with my Mac was Apple did a full motherboard replacement around 2012 because I was experiencing the kernel panics when OSX Lion was installed. Maybe something newer in there changed things?

Wollo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Help!

After replacing the airport card, my wifi in boot-camp with win7 doesn't work any more. Do you have any solutions?
I've searched the driver and I didn't find anything.

Maybe somebody in this thread has the right driver and can upload the driver installation file, please.

I have a macbook pro mid 2010 15''

Last edited:

Alpine-Steer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
New York
Bought the card from China to install to my 2010 MBP. Has anyone added an additional J0 antenna, or has everyone left it disconnected?

jwk246

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
@rob3r7o:

I ran across your thread when trying to get Continuity and Handoff to work- thanks for your contribution here. I have a 17" macbook pro mid 2010 that has the same board (Mac-F22589C8) that gmorksky has (post #32 and #34). I've found a seller of the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. The modified kext that you posted in #36 for this model is no longer there- could you please upload it somewhere again? gmorksky never posted again, but hopefully that means that your edited kext worked and he needed no further help. I'm currently using Yosemite 10.10.5 and expect to be using it for some time, but I've read that some fixes for Continuity and Handoff that worked in Yosemite stopped working in El Capitan. Do you know if this board will still continue to work in El Cap should I decide to upgrade to it later?

Alpine-Steer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
New York
@rob3r7o:

I ran across your thread when trying to get Continuity and Handoff to work- thanks for your contribution here. I have a 17" macbook pro mid 2010 that has the same board (Mac-F22589C8) that gmorksky has (post #32 and #34). I've found a seller of the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. The modified kext that you posted in #36 for this model is no longer there- could you please upload it somewhere again? gmorksky never posted again, but hopefully that means that your edited kext worked and he needed no further help. I'm currently using Yosemite 10.10.5 and expect to be using it for some time, but I've read that some fixes for Continuity and Handoff that worked in Yosemite stopped working in El Capitan. Do you know if this board will still continue to work in El Cap should I decide to upgrade to it later?
There is a different board for El Cap, probably why this one has gone cold. I don't have the modified kext anymore but you can use the CAT here (I think). Best of luck

jwk246

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
There is a different board for El Cap, probably why this one has gone cold. I don't have the modified kext anymore but you can use the CAT here (I think). Best of luck

Does Alpine-Steer = rob3r7o, or is this someone else that posted? I've looked at CAT, but the matrix for models that work does not include any (17") mid-2010 Macbook Pro models... are you saying that the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX doesn't work at all with El Capitan?

Alpine-Steer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
New York
Does Alpine-Steer = rob3r7o, or is this someone else that posted? I've looked at CAT, but the matrix for models that work does not include any (17") mid-2010 Macbook Pro models... are you saying that the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX doesn't work at all with El Capitan?
No, I didn't see you addressed you message to @rob3r7o. It does, I am using it now on my 15" m2010 MBP.

jwk246

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
No, I didn't see you addressed you message to @rob3r7o. It does, I am using it now on my 15" m2010 MBP.

Don't misunderstand the intention of my question, I appreciate any and all help from anyone, but reading your post I wasn't quite sure if rob3r7o was replying but had changed his username, or if it was another user. You mentioned 'there is a different board for El Cap'- were you referring to a different wireless/blutooth board that fits the 2010 MBP? Or a different 'board' as in bulletin board or forum for El Cap? If you're talking about a different wireless/blutooth board, do you know what the part number is?

Alpine-Steer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
New York
Don't misunderstand the intention of my question, I appreciate any and all help from anyone, but reading your post I wasn't quite sure if rob3r7o was replying but had changed his username, or if it was another user. You mentioned 'there is a different board for El Cap'- were you referring to a different wireless/blutooth board that fits the 2010 MBP? Or a different 'board' as in bulletin board or forum for El Cap? If you're talking about a different wireless/blutooth board, do you know what the part number is?
I can see how my response could be confusing! The BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX chip works with El Cap. I meant there was a different \textit{forum} dedicated to this hardware modification running El Cap. Here it is: Link.

jwk246

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2015
I can see how my response could be confusing! The BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX chip works with El Cap. I meant there was a different \textit{forum} dedicated to this hardware modification running El Cap. Here it is: Link.

Thanks, I appreciate the link- I had read a couple of threads about CAT elsewhere, but mostly devoted to people adding cards to mac pros prior to the waste can models, and to people using them with hackintoshes. So is CAP what you used to get the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX working with El Cap?

Thanks for responding so quickly- really a big help!

jwk

Alpine-Steer

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
New York
Thanks, I appreciate the link- I had read a couple of threads about CAT elsewhere, but mostly devoted to people adding cards to mac pros prior to the waste can models, and to people using them with hackintoshes. So is CAP what you used to get the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX working with El Cap?

Thanks for responding so quickly- really a big help!

jwk
Yea, CAT is what I used to get the card working again after the software update.
No problem on the responses. It is talk to you or finish my QM homework... ;)

Gil_Ned

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
From a Guide how to:
7. Go to Terminal, and type: (exactly as below)

ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

8. Your result should look like : Mac-94245A3940C91C80, (yours might be different.) Don't close terminal yet

9. Go To your Desktop Right Click on IO80211Family.kext, Choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS

10. Open CONTENTS: PLUGINS:, then Right Click on AirPortBrcm4360.kext, and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS

11. OPEN CONTENTS: MAC OS:, then Right Click on AirPortBrcm4360, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

12. Press CMD F, search for "Mac-" (without the quotes).

13. Look at the first result, for example, it might be "Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F"

14. Go back to the FIND box, in the FIND box enter that first "Mac-" number that you found.

15. In the REPLACE box, enter the number you got in Terminal, (remember you left it open.)

16. Click REPLACE

17. Click SAVE (the red circle button)

so when i do
ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'
i have only Mac-F22586C8
and if i replace only Mac-F22586C8 than i have an error to load AirPortBrcm4360.kext

what i have to write inside this kext:
Mac-F22586C8
or other value?
Am i on wrong way?

If i put (for esemple) Mac-00000000F22586C8
than i can load the 4360.kext without error, but just for 1 minutes
and i have not preferences/general/handhoff switch

I have tried to edit AirPortBrcm4224.kext to
i can load this kext but with same result: 0

Thanks for your time
[doublepost=1524037207][/doublepost]Buongiorno rob3r7o
Ho visto solo oggi il tuo post pubblicato nel 2014.. avendo un problema di connessione con Bluetooth tra iphone 5 e MacBook OS X Vers 10.6.8 del 2011...
ho seguito un pò le tue istruzioni:
scrivendo sul terminal: ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'
ottengo: Mac-F22C89C8
poi sul mio Desktop non trovo IO80211Family.kext...
Domanda come faccio per trovare questo file?
e poi facendo tutta questa modifica risolvero questo problema di bluetooth oppure è per tutt'altra cosa?
Grazie in anticipo per la tua disponibilità...
Gil

danica_talos

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Good morning! I need the patched IO80211Family.kext for the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX Card.

Do any of you still have this extension?

My system on macbook pro 2010 15" is high sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.