Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jett099

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Hi to everyone! Firstly I need to tell you that i know about gpu's problem on this 2011's macbook and that i solved it this way that worked perfectly for me:

But now on my brother's mac this process cant work anymore after an update that He accidentally did. I cant tell you exactly what he did because He doesn't remember. However I've formatted his disk and reinstalled again mac os high sierra 10.13.6 in order to let it work again.

So, firstly i reset SMC, than I do 4 times reset NVRAM/PVRAM (cmd opt P R) and than i try to boot up single user mode (cmd r s): here comes the issue: i cant boot single user mode.

As a 3rd passage (so after SMC and PVRAM) I've tried several mac's shortcuts but it's pointless, since i cant boot single user mode, nor with cms r s, nor with cmd s; I cant boot verbose mode (cmd v); I cant secure boot (holding shift key); I cant boot recovery mode/internet recovery (cmd r/shift cmd r).

Cant do these operations because it keeps on showing me blank screen even after several minutes I hold these keys.

I feel that this is probably caused by the notorious graphic issue, since after SMC reset I see glitched screen (pink screen on the 1st attachment) and after PVRAM reset (one time) screen is blank as nothing happened (white screen 2nd attachment).

I'm sure that I correctly formatted my disk because i've tested it on another mac and it works perfectly.

Any ideas? Why cant I boot up on single user mode?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-08-27 at 13.18.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-27 at 13.18.54.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 193
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-08-27 at 13.18.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-27 at 13.18.53.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 140

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Try to connect the Macbook to an external monitor, if you get signal its likely a problem with the display or ribbon cable. Otherwise if you still don't get signal with an external display you have a dead GPU or damage to the logic board itself.

Reactions: Jett099

Jett099

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Try to connect the Macbook to an external monitor, if you get signal its likely a problem with the display or ribbon cable. Otherwise if you still don't get signal with an external display you have a dead GPU or damage to the logic board itself.

Hi! Thanks for your reply, i feel that i cant connect the mac to an external monitor because the iGpu is failed. However I can try to replace some parts since i have another same model working mac. Could you tell me please what is it a ribbon cable? So that I can try to replace it or the logic board. Thanks in advance!

edit: if a ribbon cable is the cable that connects the ssd I need to tell that i have previously tried to replace it, but it doesn't work

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Hi! Thanks for your reply, i feel that i cant connect the mac to an external monitor because the iGpu is failed. However I can try to replace some parts since i have another same model working mac. Could you tell me please what is it a ribbon cable? So that I can try to replace it or the logic board. Thanks in advance!

edit: if a ribbon cable is the cable that connects the ssd I need to tell that i have previously tried to replace it, but it doesn't work

The ribbon cable connects the body of the laptop to the display. That cable is supposed to flex with the opening and closing of the computer, but in some cases it can wear down with conventional use.

But if you have a dead GPU you will need a new or refurbished logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.