Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daviesrj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Surrey
Hi Guys

So I have had my MacBook Pro 2011 17 inch since 2011, in that time the computer has had 3 logic boards replaced by Apple due to the graphics card issue. The issue is back again and I am trying to get another replacement by Apple. The last time the Logic Board was replaced an Apple representative said to me on the phone that if it happens for a fourth time then we will replace the logic board again or just replace the unit under EU consumer law.

I have had numerous appointments recently at the Bentall Centre Apple Store in Kingston-Upon-Thames, the first time they told me that it was a flat no for replacement or fix for logic board, but I was told to speak to AppleCare again, so I did and they said it was fixable, however it has now come to my attention that in the last few days the MacBook Pro 2011 is now considered a Vintage unit, and anyone with the 2011 MacBook Pro will not be able to get any kind of Logic Board replacement.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue but also to let people know of my situation and that if you have the same issue right now, check whether you are covered under the EU consumer law - as this might just provide you with a new free upgrade. At the moment I am waiting to find out if it is possible for me to claim under EU consumer law as the machine is still within it's consumer law period of 6 years. I should have an answer today or tomorrow regarding this and then I can update you.

Daviesrj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Surrey
Update: Apple have officially given me a brand new MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.9GHZ 16gb ram + 512gb HD as a replacement unit due to not be able to fix the MacBook Pro 2011 due to the machine now being vintage. I advise anyone that has the same issue to see if they are covered under consumer law in the UK or Europe and if you are, be strong and fight till you get the new machine. FYI - You will need to provide the original purchase receipt and if you have bought your machine as a business then it will not be possible under consumer law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.