Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tghoskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Hello all,

My issue is that on the startup screen there is a section of distorted pixles that flashes up for a few seconds, you can see exactly what I mean in the photo attached (note that the green tinge does not occur anymore)

This is a early 2011 MacBook Pro. I have added a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB and the logic board has just been replaced by apple under the "Repair Extension Program for Video Issues" - https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

As far as I can tell, all the issues have been resolved, but I'm still concerned about the distortion at startup.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
My honest advice would be to sell the MacBook as soon as you can and put the money towards a new one.

The simple fact is that the logic board replacements that Apple are giving out are merely refurbished ones which previously had the same issue, after having been repaired. The problem is that the source of the issue is still there - the AMD chips with low quality packaging which causes them to fail.

All 2011 MacBook Pros, given enough time, will fail, including those which Apple has repaired through their program. Sell it while it still works. You can probably safely ignore the distortion at boot, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it fails again - there's even been reports of users getting dead MacBooks back after sending them in as part of this program.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

tghoskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
My honest advice would be to sell the MacBook as soon as you can and put the money towards a new one.

The simple fact is that the logic board replacements that Apple are giving out are merely refurbished ones which previously had the same issue, after having been repaired. The problem is that the source of the issue is still there - the AMD chips with low quality packaging which causes them to fail.

All 2011 MacBook Pros, given enough time, will fail, including those which Apple has repaired through their program. Sell it while it still works. You can probably safely ignore the distortion at boot, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it fails again - there's even been reports of users getting dead MacBooks back after sending them in as part of this program.

Thanks for your input Joel.

This isn't the first time I've been advised to sell it, so I'm definitely considering that option.
My only worry is that I'm not a fan of the new MacBook Pros :( I've heard the 2014 models are pretty decent though.

Any recommendations?

Also, in addition to "repairing" the logic board, they fitted a new screen, keyboard and housing...so it felt like getting a new machine haha

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
FWIW, my housemate's sister had the same issue with hers. Replacement MLB, that distortion on startup. My housemate's 2011 17" MBP passed the Apple diagnostics, yet it has the graphics distortion when restarting with an external monitor plugged in.

It's frustrating because all the Geniuses know it's an issue, but they can't do anything unless it fails some stupid test. And even if it does get replaced, it's just a faulty refurb anyhow. The 'new' parts seem to be worse than the originals in regards to a quicker failure rate.

Go back, get a new Logic Board. Keep rinsing and repeating, making the most of the repair program... that's all I can suggest. It's a massive, massive long shot, but if they see 10 new Logic Boards against your machine, they might just call it quits and give you a new one. I'm also not sure if each new Logic Board carries the 90 day Apple warranty (doubtful), but if it does, then you're in luck.

With regards to a new computer, I'd suggest the 2015 15" rMBP. It's still stunningly good: incredibly fast Flash storage, great CPU, beautiful design, and lots of lovely legacy ports.

tghoskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
FWIW, my housemate's sister had the same issue with hers. Replacement MLB, that distortion on startup. My housemate's 2011 17" MBP passed the Apple diagnostics, yet it has the graphics distortion when restarting with an external monitor plugged in.

It's frustrating because all the Geniuses know it's an issue, but they can't do anything unless it fails some stupid test. And even if it does get replaced, it's just a faulty refurb anyhow. The 'new' parts seem to be worse than the originals in regards to a quicker failure rate.

Go back, get a new Logic Board. Keep rinsing and repeating, making the most of the repair program... that's all I can suggest. It's a massive, massive long shot, but if they see 10 new Logic Boards against your machine, they might just call it quits and give you a new one. I'm also not sure if each new Logic Board carries the 90 day Apple warranty (doubtful), but if it does, then you're in luck.

With regards to a new computer, I'd suggest the 2015 15" rMBP. It's still stunningly good: incredibly fast Flash storage, great CPU, beautiful design, and lots of lovely legacy ports.

Definitely worth a shot. I've just got the machine back from them. As I mention, all the original issues have been resolved (the machine wouldn't boot and there was a green tinge with defined white lines through the screen as seen in the photo).

By all means I could take it back again and ask them to look into it, but as you mentioned, it may have to fail their diagnosis tests before they do anything further.

Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: keysofanxiety

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I have a MacBook Pro Late 2011 and I see that too.

It doesn't seems to be affecting function at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.