Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1024KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Hi guys

about a year ago I encountered the gpu issue that is found in 2011 mbp. I followed the steps that disables the amd chip and it worked, but now im facing a new issue. My mbp turns on but
  • Screen is completely black, no backlight either.
  • No chime.
  • No keyboard backlight.
  • SMC works but doesn't fix the issue.
  • PRAM doesn't work at all.
  • Any other system commands doesn't work too(safe mode, recovery mode, and super user mode)
  • Fans and hdd are working fine.
I tried everything online, only one fix worked which was letting the battery run out then plugging in the charger and it turned on. It worked for 3 days, but now I have same issue and the old fix is not working. Did anyone else face this issue and fixed it?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have not faced your exact problems, but your symptoms sound like a hardware problem. No chime sounds and having to let the power completely drain before it can startup is not normal and seems like a hardware problem.

You would have to take it to a repair shop to have them open it up and check it out. They would probably charge for that service and repair parts would cost. I would recommend looking at getting a MBP without the dGPU design flaw of the 2011 MBP. Even a replacement used logic board for a 2011 MBP would still have the dGPU flaw.

I used to have a 2011 15" MBP with the dGPU problem. I moved on to a newer MBP.

EDIT: To correct typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1024KB

1024KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I have not faced your exact problems, but your symptoms sound like a hardware problem. No chime sounds and having let the power completely drain before it can startup is not normal and seems like a hardware problem.

You would have to take it a repair shop to open have then it up and have them check it out. They would probably charge for that service and repair parts would cost. I would recommend looking at getting a MBP without the dGPU design flaw of the 2011 MBP. Even a replacement used logic board for a 2011 MBP would still have the dGPU flaw.

I used to a 2011 15" MBP with the dGPU problem. I moved on to a newer MBP.

Buying a new mbp seems like the only good solution. I was hesitant at first because the price is a bit high for the 15 inch, but since I really like MacOS there is no other option.

Thanks anyway.

Reactions: CoastalOR

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
what happens if you run the macbook with the battery removed or the battery connector disconnected from the logic board?
it will be extremely slow tho due to kernel task throttling (which can be disabled)

Reactions: 1024KB

1024KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
what happens if you run the macbook with the battery removed or the battery connector disconnected from the logic board?
it will be extremely slow tho due to kernel task throttling (which can be disabled)
Tried that, but it didn't work. I also tried running the mac with one ram at a time but it didn't work either.

1024KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
OP:

If I were you, I'd start looking for a replacement.

A 2011 MBPro with RadeonGate is the last thing you want to "put any money into"...
Yeah as CoastalOR said, a used logic board still has the gpu flaw, so it is not a good investment.

I have decided to buy mbp 2018 15" 2.6 ghz mainly for the storage, as the base model only has 256gb.

J-Pro

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
I have the same issue... described it in the original thread about disabling discrete GPU. It was sporadic before, but now nothing helps and it seems to become constant... Looks like this issue is known to the people from the original thread, because there is even a described solution to prevent it (until it happens), but I regret that I did not find it before it happened to me :( I still love everything in my 2011 laptop and would like to use it... It's such a shame that an issue with a redundant GPU spoils all the other healthy components!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.