Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Dear readers,

I've noticed that there is an incredible amount of knowledge here,
so I hope there is anyone who could help me to solve this issue, I'd be very thankful:)

A few weeks ago I bought a used MBP 13" 2012 , and I am noticing strange things when I check activity monitor concerning the RAM.
The guy who sold the MBP did an install of the latest version of Catalina, so the BootRom is 231.0.0.0.0.
Further on the hardware was completely original : HDD and 4GB RAM .
When I bought it, it was incredibly slow, but I put a Samsung 850 EVO in it and activated Trim .
After a fresh install (HS) it seems to work fine, except the fact that 4GB was clearly not enough for the stuff I work on (music) on my Mac Pro 5,1.
So i ordered 16GB of RAM (samsung).
When I installed the new 16GB RAM, I noticed that after waking from sleep, it is compressing the memory , not performing as I expected and activity monitor shows that the used amount of RAM stays within 4gb, although it has 16GB.
After a restart it seems to use the whole memory, depending on the load somewhere between 5 and 8 GB ....

There was a 5th folder called VM (swapfile) on the SSD, which I removed after the RAM update, presuming it was created because of the small amount of memory (4GB).

I did a few test with Rember, and the RAM seems to be fine....
I also did a SMC reset and several VRAM resets....
Is there a way to tell this machine it's got 16GB of RAM?

Thx in advance for any suggestions or information to solve this inconvenient issue.
Greetings
Kees

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.