Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I'm running a Macbook Pro late 2013. Still works fine for everything I do. But the OS is Big Sur. Latest update 11.7.10.

I was wondering, is this still secure? And for how long?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

Philflow:​

there are two ends of security yours and them

Seems tome the fault with unsafe online banking and the 2010 data thefts
lies within the company's end as target and now T-mobile suffered data theft attacks.
meaning you can have the latest OS and browse privately an still get hacked.

as for security, that all depends on who we interact with since they can have a virus or vulnerability.
as you stated "brokers" which could be risky as well.

I used a MacBook Pro 2012 with Mojave quite often this year and felt safe
even that older system has blocking and anti-tracking software on Safari.
if you browse safe, use a secure bank and know who your brokers are, you should be fine with BigSur.
if you really need that extra layer of security, by all means see if you can upgrade to Sonoma.

hope this helped!

Reactions: Philflow

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Thank you MBAir2010!

I'm reading that "Big Sur will no longer receive security updates after November 2023." If I'm understanding you correctly that's not a big deal? I'm surprised by that.

Sonoma upgrade isn't available to me.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you MBAir2010!

I'm reading that "Big Sur will no longer receive security updates after November 2023." If I'm understanding you correctly that's not a big deal? I'm surprised by that.

Sonoma upgrade isn't available to me.
Big Sur has already stopped receiving security updates a few months ago. Whoever wrote November was mistaken; compounding the problem, Apple doesn’t publish a roadmap of how long they’ll provide updates for any operating system.
For sure, you should not use Safari and instead use a 3rd party browser that is still updated.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
For regular consumers of browsing, email, Apple Music etc we should be relatively safe and it’s a low risk is that correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.