Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Macbook starts up (fan spin every-time).
Macbook occasionally chimes. (after removing and replacing SSD a few times or after being off for quite some time)
Macbook does not output display to its built in retina display (I have reason to believe that this is cracked but still functional)
Macbook does output to Hdmi and on the rare occasion of a chime it shows the apple logo.
SSD becomes warm to the touch when mac does not chime.
Not exactly sure what could be wrong with it any ideas?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
This will most likely be an SSD cable failing. It could be a board level problem but I would prefer to check the SSD cable running to the board first. Have you opened it up to take a look?

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Tried a SMC and nvram reset?

Tried running out with the battery disconnected?

Was it exposed to liquid or physical damage?
Attempted both resets with and without battery. I disassembled and rebuilt the entire motherboard region (cables screws etc) replaces fan bc broken flat cable. No add cable exists in this device.
As for damage I’m not sure. I found this outside a a house of the way home from work.
I checked the board for liquid damage theonly thing I could find was some shiny not liquid near the cpu/gpu (intergrated single chip its a 13 inch retina) however turned out to be some adhesive used on a heat shield originally.

I have access to all tools required for assembly and disassembly of this device with the exception of a heat gun.
As for corrosion around pins the closest thing I could find so far was a other hair or dust particle in one of the display connector to the built in display. Removed it with paper and tested connector with multimeter. However not exactly sure what the ohms reading should say per pin and such.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
You have done everything I would have done. At this point, I think it's time to have it looked at by a board-level tech to check the traces, capacitors, and resistors for functionality.
The fact that the device can occasionally boot (not fully but still) leads me to believe that the logic board is ok. Besides the built in screen connector and screen itself. Is it possible the SSD is damaged? If so how could I test it without another rig?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The fact that the device can occasionally boot (not fully but still) leads me to believe that the logic board is ok. Besides the built in screen connector and screen itself. Is it possible the SSD is damaged? If so how could I test it without another rig?
Try installing and booting from an external drive?

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Try installing and booting from an external drive?[/QUOTE
Update: I have a OSX install usb created and It can boot from it. However, It doesn't get farther than the apple logo start up. I can press option on chime and get prompted which of the two drives to boot from and an option to connect to wifi. (Wifi works) The installer is not trusted fully so im attempting to make a new one from my mbp 2011.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
I'm going to attempt a high sierra.
[doublepost=1551462008][/doublepost]Here is a few photos of the motherboard. (display connector currently disconnected.)

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 202

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looking at the pictures, I see what looks like residue from liquid exposure.

I recommend removing the logic board, cleaning all areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, and then try booting.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
i have 70% think thats high enough?
[doublepost=1551463219][/doublepost]the boot menu after pressing option after chime

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 173

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I only use 99% because, with 70%, some of the remaining 30% will be water which is exactly what you don't want.

I have managed to "fixed" a few Airs by thoroughly cleaning all parts several times with pure alcohol.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
new update there is a progress bar under the apple logo however after reaching 50% it shutdown
(cleaned exposed side of MB only so far with 99%)

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
I found the backlight (for the keyboard) connector had some corrosion on it short circuiting 2 pins. After cleaning it up it appears the backlight (which never turned on to start with) is broken. The device has the same behavior after cleaning both sides.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
nothing is connected to the mbp besides the hdmi to a working monitor.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is it possible you missed an area?

For the "as-is" air I am currently using, I had to clean it three times before I got it to boot properly. It partially worked after the first cleaning so I went over the entire board a second and third time. I also have all other boards a good cleaning too.

Seren1ty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
cleaned twice more same result. I'm thinking i should try this installer im prepping to see if i can get into recovery mode and run the diagnostic

Reactions: Audit13

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
you need/ have you ran a diagnostic voltage meter thingee to check which chip is faulty on the logic board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.