Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
A couple of days ago, when waking the computer from sleep, the keyboard and trackpad simply did nothing. Did a cold boot and suddenly all was fine.
Later same happened, and some solution fixed it again.

However, this is not the case anymore. Tried everything I could including SMC and PRAM reset, restored to a previous backup, etc...

Yesterday as I went to the local Apple Authorised Repair Centre, and they told me that I would need to pay 700 euros to fix it as something (they weren't clear on that and there's a language barrier here as they don't all speak perfect english), had to be completely replaced.

Does anyone knows what can this be? I doubt that it is a logic board problem as the diagnostics test during startup didn't show any hardware problem. I'm a bit stuck with this as the only Apple store we have in Belgium is quite far, making it impossible for me to go there to fix this.

I'm a bit desperate as I'm working for my PhD and having to carry an external mouse and keyboard on my bike every day is complicated.

swoosh983

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Hey.

The same thing happened to me.

My solution is that I ordered a replacement trackpad flex cable from ebay. LINK

When it arrived I just replaced it according to this tutorial. LINK
Start with step 1 to 7, skip 8 to 16 and just continue with step 17. Put everything back to its place and voila ... my keyboard and trackpad are working again. ;)

With some computer knowledge and a correct screwdriver, you can fix it alone ... or with help of a friend.

Best of luck. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.