Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
Hey guys, I am facing the following problem with my macbook pro 2015 retina 13” (A1502) and I hope some of you can help me:

I recently upgraded my logic board: I had a 8gb core i5 2.7 ghz logic board and I bought a 16gb core i7 3.1 ghz from aliexpress and installed it in my macbook. Everything is working fine but the charging system, here is what is happening:

When I plug the charger, sometimes it works fine and charges the battery normally, but sometimes it is not detected by the macbook (the orange/green LED does not turn on and the battery does not charge).

When it happens, I have to open the macbook > disconnect the battery > connect the charger (then it lights up) > disconnect the charger > reconnect the battery > reconnect the charger. After this process, the charger is recognized again and the battery charges normally.

A curious thing that happens is that when I reconnect the charger in the final step, the macbook turns on automatically, without me hitting the power button.

It is being very annoying having to do this process over and over and I would like a permanent solution, does anyone know what could be the problem? Could it be the power jack? The battery? Or the logic board circuits? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have already reseted SMC and NVRAM.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You don't mention version of macOS installed...

Have you run Apple Diagnostics? Boot while pressing and holding the "D" key until diagnostics screen appear. If diagnostics say to plug in power adapter but power adapter not recognized, try reset SMC again, and try diagnostics again. If same problem and diagnostics refuse to run, charging port on used logic board bought on Aliexpress might be bad. Other try is calibrate battery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: ademirml

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Hey guys, I am facing the following problem with my macbook pro 2015 retina 13” (A1502) and I hope some of you can help me:

It is being very annoying having to do this process over and over and I would like a permanent solution, does anyone know what could be the problem? Could it be the power jack? The battery? Or the logic board circuits? Or something else?
Where did you source the Logic Board from?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The fact that the replacement logic board was procured from AliExpress raises more concerns than answers. I've heard enough stories about that company to avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: Macdctr

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
You don't mention version of macOS installed...

Have you run Apple Diagnostics? Boot while pressing and holding the "D" key until diagnostics screen appear. If diagnostics say to plug in power adapter but power adapter not recognized, try reset SMC again, and try diagnostics again. If same problem and diagnostics refuse to run, charging port on used logic board bought on Aliexpress might be bad. Other try is calibrate battery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks man, I will do that and see what happens. What would be the correct procedure to calibrate the battery?

PS: I am using Macos Sonoma with Open Core Legacy Patcher. I was previously using Macos Ventura with my old logic board, with the same patcher.

Last edited:

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
I doubt the board is OEM - so you can’t really trust it - Why did you replace the Logic Board - you could get a Macbook Pro Retina 2014 13” for about $125?
it seems like original, but I am not sure. Anyway, I bought it because I thought it would be the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade my RAM and processor

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
My charger is 45w, could it be because of it? Does the i7 3.1 ghz need a more powerful charger?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My charger is 45w, could it be because of it? Does the i7 3.1 ghz need a more powerful charger?
All 13" MacBook Pros of that era came with a 60W charger. The 45W is from the MacBook Air. Nonetheless this is not likely the source of your problem.

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
All 13" MacBook Pros of that era came with a 60W charger. The 45W is from the MacBook Air. Nonetheless this is not likely the source of your problem.
I got the following message after running Apple Diagnostics (holding D key while booting)

"A 45W power adapter is connected. This system requires a 60W

power adapter to charge property.

Connect the required power adapter. You can also use an adapter of higher wattage. Run the test again.

Reference Code: PPP004"

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I got the following message after running Apple Diagnostics (holding D key while booting)

"A 45W power adapter is connected. This system requires a 60W

power adapter to charge property.

Connect the required power adapter. You can also use an adapter of higher wattage. Run the test again.

Reference Code: PPP004"
You'll get that message even on a MacBook that's working properly, but to run the diagnostics you do need the 60W adapter.

ademirml

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
Hey guys, thanks for all your opinion. My problem was resolved by buying a new 60W charger (not original from Apple). For some reason, my macbook pro A1502 did not came with a 60W charger from factory, it came with a 45W charger. It looks like my new logic board from aliexpress only works properly with a 60W charger, maybe because it has a 3.1 ghz i7 and 16gb of RAM, while my original logic board only had a 2,7 ghz i5 and 8gb of RAM, and it worked properly with the 45W charger.

Attachments

• erro apple diagnostics.jpeg
    erro apple diagnostics.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.