Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

President Jordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Hi all,

Having some issues upgrading the SSD in a Macbook. I'm at the point where I think I have a dodgy adapter but would love some of your thoughts!

Macbook Pro 13" Early 2015 (a1502)
Macbookpro12,1

I'm using this adapter from eBay, and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.

I updated to Mojave on the original 128gb SSD, installed new SSD, booted from Mojave USB, formatted new SSD Mac OS Journaled, installed Mojave - And this is where I get the problem. I get a boot cycle from here, just shows the white apple logo and loading bar on a black screen, then repeat.

I went through the forums but no luck matching the same combination of parts.

Any ideas would be awesome!

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Hi all,

Having some issues upgrading the SSD in a Macbook. I'm at the point where I think I have a dodgy adapter but would love some of your thoughts!

Macbookpro12,1

I updated to Mojave on the original 128gb SSD, installed new SSD, booted from Mojave USB, formatted new SSD Mac OS Journaled, installed Mojave - And this is where I get the problem. I get a boot cycle from here, just shows the white apple logo and loading bar on a black screen, then repeat.

I just bought the same '15 128GB 12,1 as you have, and upon reading stories such as this one elected to get a lightly used apple SSUXB SSD on ebay for a little more than a 970 + adapter in order to avoid this type of issues. It's arriving today so I don't know how well things'll work out yet, but the relatively small additional price (about 35-40 USD) seemed like money well spent.

The only worry is you have to get an SSUXB version in order to keep PCIE 3.0 4 lanes so as not to lose any speed in comparison to the stock drive.

This probably doesn't help you much, although returning you samsung and getting an apple drive might still be an option. Just avoid OWCs which are not that cheap and much slower than the stock apple drive.

Reactions: President Jordan

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Hi all,

Macbookpro12,1

If you follow this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/) you'd notice that the Samsung 970 Evo Plus gives problems in a Mac. The non-Plus workes fine (albeit its a power-hungry beast). Return it.

Magnus

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
As was said above, the EVO Plus is the issue (non plus works great).
Lots of other great choices too.

SX8200 Pro's work wonderfully.
After a hiccup or two to start, I'm using a brand new HP EX950 and it's working sensationally.

(apparently these EX950's sold out everywhere very quickly upon release - I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere to link to)

Lots of people love and use the Crucial P1 and Intel 660p models also and the EX920 (predecessor to my EX950 is superb and a steal of a deal)
[doublepost=1550860544][/doublepost]

I'd also get a legit Sintech branded adapter.
It looks like you're using an unbranded/generic/knockoff model.

This part is too important to go cheap on.

The legit Sintech one I use is only $15 on Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FYY3H5F/

President Jordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Thanks for the advice everybody, seems the consensus is to return the Plus! My plan is now to get a new SSD and adapter. Only issues I have, come from living in isolation in Australia haha. No Sintech adapters here (that I can find), so I'll grab one from Amazon US and wait. In the mean time, I can get the Intel 660p at a good price from AUS and test it with the generic adapter.

Thanks again, I'll update the results here when I have them!

GSDLVR123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
USA
I just bought the same '15 128GB 12,1 as you have, and upon reading stories such as this one elected to get a lightly used apple SSUXB SSD on ebay for a little more than a 970 + adapter in order to avoid this type of issues. It's arriving today so I don't know how well things'll work out yet, but the relatively small additional price (about 35-40 USD) seemed like money well spent.

The only worry is you have to get an SSUXB version in order to keep PCIE 3.0 4 lanes so as not to lose any speed in comparison to the stock drive.

This probably doesn't help you much, although returning you samsung and getting an apple drive might still be an option. Just avoid OWCs which are not that cheap and much slower than the stock apple drive.

I need clarification - I'm looking to help my daughter - she is in college. She called last night and said she has a friend who can add storage to her laptop. She has (I bought it for her new a few years ago), 2015 Macbook Pro with i7 and 16gb of RAM..but only 128GB of storage. I know I can sell this laptop as it is in great condition - and get her a new one with more storage, but if I do not have to I'd prefer not to. I looked up the SSUXB on Ebay but only see SSUBX....is this the same ? Also as you can guess (the fact I bought her an i7 16GB with only 128 Storage) I am not computer literate....If this (SSUBX) is the right one - is it easy to put in? Also - the proces vary greatly - looking for 1TB if possible - saw this for $185:
NEW 1TB NVMe SSD for Apple MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro 2013-17 SSUAX SSUBX
or saw the Apple/Samsung 512 SSD for around $200.

I would greatly appreciate any advice help from any knowledgeable people - thanks.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I need clarification - I'm looking to help my daughter - she is in college. She called last night and said she has a friend who can add storage to her laptop. She has (I bought it for her new a few years ago), 2015 Macbook Pro with i7 and 16gb of RAM..but only 128GB of storage. I know I can sell this laptop as it is in great condition - and get her a new one with more storage, but if I do not have to I'd prefer not to. I looked up the SSUXB on Ebay but only see SSUBX....is this the same ? Also as you can guess (the fact I bought her an i7 16GB with only 128 Storage) I am not computer literate....If this (SSUBX) is the right one - is it easy to put in? Also - the proces vary greatly - looking for 1TB if possible - saw this for $185:
NEW 1TB NVMe SSD for Apple MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro 2013-17 SSUAX SSUBX
or saw the Apple/Samsung 512 SSD for around $200.

I would greatly appreciate any advice help from any knowledgeable people - thanks.
I've never seen an XB, only BX.

Yes, it is very easy to change drives if you have the right tools: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251

djangoreinhardt442

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2019
So, did you do it?
it is super easy. 10 screws, one battery cable, one screw for ssd and that's it.
you could buy a SSUBX (the 1TB models go for around 300 on ebay these days).
This is probably easiest. If you wanted to save a few bucks...like say...150 or so,
you can buy a non apple 1tb ahci or nvme ssd and a sintech adapter and also do that

Rh92887

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
Does updating a 2015 MBP with an SSUBX from ebay offer a seamless upgrade where I can just restore from timemachine backup? I currently have the sintech adapter and it is such nonsense, I just want it to work without any modifications or special attention besides swapping the hardware. Will this swap provide me that?

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Does updating a 2015 MBP with an SSUBX from ebay offer a seamless upgrade where I can just restore from timemachine backup? I currently have the sintech adapter and it is such nonsense, I just want it to work without any modifications or special attention besides swapping the hardware. Will this swap provide me that?

As long as the drive is a stock apple unit, yes, I don’t see why it would be otherwise. In my case the seller had put a clean install on the drive so it really was plug & play, computer booted straight to the desktop as though it has always had that drive in it.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I replaced my 15" 2014 MacBook Pro SSD (SSUAX, 2 lanes) with the faster SSUBX, 4 lanes, and it was worth every cent I paid for the Apple/Samsung SSD on eBay. Don't bother with the Samsung 960/970 that needs an adapter and may present other issues, unless of course you are sure what you are doing. I know there are many for whom this has worked. For me the original Apple/Samsung SSD worked flawlessly and I have no doubt that it will be the same for the 13" model. Restored from Time Machine with no issues at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbosse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.