Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Hello, for more than a month now, ever since I updated to the final 10.11.4 my macbook completely freezes in Safari and other apps at random times, about once a week.
It usually happens when I click on a link, switch tabs, go back one page, etc. The cursor freezes, the screen freezes, the keyboard...it becomes absolutely unresponsive, even the trackpad loses it's force touch and you can't feel the feedback vibration, the only thing that is still responsive is the caps lock light.
I don't have any extensions installed in Safari, and flash is disabled.

Update: Looks like this is not an isolated case, it's a system framework or an Intel Graphics driver bug, a lot of people report 10.11.4 freezing especially people with rMBP 13'' 2015.

Please take a moment and report this to http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html and include this thread link so they can see this.

Update 2:
Safari Technology Preview Version 1 also freezes, no further tests in the subsequent betas made.
OS X 10.11.5 beta 1 and beta 2 also freezes.
I just had a freeze in Chrome, plus in Photoshop (Safari was running in the background), therefore I'm joining everyone else who has "The freeze" in other apps.

Update 3 (May 14):
It has come to my attention that the issue was finally published on macrumors front page and since then we added 4 pages to this thread in less than 24 hours. Dozens of people report all sorts of glitches and beachballs and freezes" spanning from El Capitan to the past summer to "since 2012".

While I understand everyone's struggle with a freezing computer, in the two months of tests and conclusions we are sure this particular issue is affecting only 10.11.4 and mostly the new machines.
It is very common to say "my computer is freezing" and every person can mean something different so
if you are trying to find out if you are affected by this particular issue here are a couple checks:

1. The freeze occurs absolutely random, and when it happens it completely freezes everything, there's no moving cursor*, there's no movement on the screen, there's no beachball, the trackpad on the new rMBP doesn't "click" anymore, if you try to close the lid it never goes to sleep and it never creates a crash report, it never recovers until you restart it manually, please see the video bellow for a demonstration.
2. The issue is only affecting 10.11.4, if you had it earlier, it's not the issue discussed in this thread.
3. Using Chrome/Firefox/Opera does not fix the issue, if it does, you weren't affected by this specific issue.
4. If you have an older macbook you are most likely not affected by this issue(the insanely lag caused by the hard drive cable failure in the macbook pro 2012 comes to mind or the gpu 2011-2013 macbook failure).
5. Reinstalling the OS doesn't help.
6. Disabling flash doesn't help, stop blaming it.
7. Setting the fan to run at maximum is not a smart idea or something you should do to a new macbook, it won't help the freezing issue discussed here, this is not a thermal problem.
8. Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox/Chrome or WebGL in Safari doesn't help, this is not a browser only freeze, it happens in other apps too.

Update 4:
The issue has been fixed in 10.11.5, install the update now.
Keep in mind this thread was created and tested mostly on 13'' retina Macbook Pro 2015.
10.11.5 fixed it for this model.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht206594

Here is the moment in the log I believe the crash happened, pay attention to the first 3 lines:

Code:
Mar 25 18:53:01 Macbook com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[2172]: [18:53:01.241] FigAgglomeratorSetObjectForKey signalled err=-16020 (kFigStringConformerError_ParamErr) (NULL key) at /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia/CoreMedia-1731.15.202/Prototypes/LegibleOutput/FigAgglomerator.c line 92
Mar 25 18:53:06 Macbook com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[2172]: <<<< VT-DS >>>> VTDecompressionSessionWaitForAsynchronousFrames: WARNING: waited 5 seconds for video decoder to complete asynchronous frames; maybe it is stuck or has a buggy path that does not complete a frame?
Mar 25 18:53:08 Macbook watchdogd[284]: [watchdog_daemon] @(_wd_daemon_service_thread) - service (com.apple.WindowServer) reported as unresponsive
Mar 25 18:53:10 Macbook Safari[509]: tcp_connection_destination_handle_tls_close_notify 572 closing socket due to TLS CLOSE_NOTIFY alert
Mar 25 18:53:10 Macbook Safari[509]: tcp_connection_tls_session_error_callback_imp 576 __tcp_connection_tls_session_callback_write_block_invoke.434 error 32
Mar 25 18:53:16 Macbook spindump[2217]: Invalid connection: com.apple.coresymbolicationd
Mar 25 18:53:16 Macbook com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[2172]: <<<< VT-DS >>>> VTDecompressionSessionWaitForAsynchronousFrames: WARNING: waited 10 seconds for video decoder to complete asynchronous frames; maybe it is stuck or has a buggy path that does not complete a frame?
Mar 25 18:53:28 Macbook com.apple.usbmuxd[83]: _SendAttachNotification Device cc:20:e8:13:ef:0c@fe80::ce20:e8ff:fe13:ef0c._apple-mobdev2._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.
Mar 25 18:53:41 Macbook CommCenter[242]: Telling CSI to go low power.
Mar 25 18:53:41 Macbook AirPlayUIAgent[570]: 2016-03-25 06:53:41.997718 PM [AirPlayUIAgent] BecomingInactive: NSWorkspaceWillSleepNotification
Mar 25 18:53:41 Macbook sharingd[297]: 18:53:41.999 : BTLE scanner Powered Off
Mar 25 18:53:42 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Im afraid youre wrong, still same problems on 10.11.6

Reactions: MacInMotion

mythnubb

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
I've been having a similar issue with my early 2015 MBP 13. It does everything that's been described, in addition to corrupting the screen as you can see HERE and HERE. The second picture happened while I was in the apple store to see what they could do. Of course, my warranty is up and they couldn't do anything without me paying an arm and a leg. Both pictures are in games, but it has also done the same thing multiple times browsing the web and doing non graphically intensive things.

460works

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
I've been having a similar issue with my early 2015 MBP 13. It does everything that's been described, in addition to corrupting the screen as you can see HERE and HERE. The second picture happened while I was in the apple store to see what they could do. Of course, my warranty is up and they couldn't do anything without me paying an arm and a leg. Both pictures are in games, but it has also done the same thing multiple times browsing the web and doing non graphically intensive things.

It may be worth your doing some testing --- such as getting some new RAM at:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/macbook-pro-(13-inch-and-15-inch,-mid-2012)

Your "2015" MacBook Pro is probably the mid-2012?

Get whatever is the lower price module (appears to be "4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM") and replace (as a test) what you currently are using.

I'm not suggesting that your images "say" you have only a hardware problem, but with your current RAM, something may be involved, such that the combination of software-and-RAM are an issue . . . maybe.

PS. It helps to learn how to detune all the Apple OS / Mac OS operational [esp. background] chatter . . . so that the Apple device's horsepower can be more focused on the tasks that you need to complete. The whole Spotlight / mdworker thing, is an *Internet* -like thing, running all the time, eating up horsepower.

And, *timing is of the essence.* Meaning, all the data traffic management - internally - on the Apple device, is extra-demanding when Apple comes along and makes updated or new software that expects to get the most out of the hardware (and out of other software that is not quite so up-to-date).

Apple makes some software that requires your device's turbo-charger to run at maximum and optimum effort . . . but some piece(s) of hardware in your device, happen to not be so able.

Kind of thing, is probably the common thing among all the failure reports. Whatever, it's not just one thing per device: the OS, or the hardware. It's a thing and then other things.

Kind of like the boiler problem, where so many plumbers say it's this or that thing, but all have the same problem: the boiler is taking on too much water and then pressure releases *more* than what it should, in order to maintain a range. It's an engineering problem. Replacing parts with "Known Good Ones" helps to narrow down, "What's going on here?" But we all discover eventually, that THIS PARTICULAR BOILER needs fine tuning with the hardware we have available.

Last edited:

mythnubb

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
It may be worth your doing some testing --- such as getting some new RAM at:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/macbook-pro-(13-inch-and-15-inch,-mid-2012)

Your "2015" MacBook Pro is probably the mid-2012?

Get whatever is the lower price module (appears to be "4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM") and replace (as a test) what you currently are using.

I'm not suggesting that your images "say" you have only a hardware problem, but with your current RAM, something may be involved, such that the combination of software-and-RAM are an issue . . . maybe.

Well, unfortunately this model does not have removable RAM. It's soldered on the mainboard.

I have been testing something for the past few days though, I've installed Windows and have been using that. It's been maybe 3 days so far without a crash. It's too soon to say anything, but I'm going to see what happens.

hsouris

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I don't want to create a new thread, since my problem is similar to OP's, so I'm replying to this thread.

Retina MacBook Pro 2012 user here. I've been having the freezing issue for *years*. I was mostly fine for many months, but the past few weeks the situation has gotten worse. I keep having these freezes every two or three days. It's ridiculous. I'm terrified to do any work in case the system crashes and I lose everything.

I've tried everything of course. I really don't want to send my machine to the local dealer (no Apple Store here). I'm out of warranty, they'll keep it over a week and they'll probably find nothing. Has, maybe, the latest beta fixed the problem for anyone?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I don't want to create a new thread, since my problem is similar to OP's, so I'm replying to this thread.

Retina MacBook Pro 2012 user here. I've been having the freezing issue for *years*. I was mostly fine for many months, but the past few weeks the situation has gotten worse. I keep having these freezes every two or three days. It's ridiculous. I'm terrified to do any work in case the system crashes and I lose everything.

I've tried everything of course. I really don't want to send my machine to the local dealer (no Apple Store here). I'm out of warranty, they'll keep it over a week and they'll probably find nothing. Has, maybe, the latest beta fixed the problem for anyone?

As the original post states, this particular issue was resolved in a 10.11 update. I have not experienced it in any version of macOS Sierra. Have you tried contacting Apple Support?

la_manzana

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016

When you say you tried everything means this you also tried all what is written in this thread here?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-safari-freeze-issue-lets-fix-this.1957355/

Since the Information in this thread is a bit scattered I will summery the workaround here.
1.) Close Safari and open the Terminal
2.) Enable the Safari Debug Menu and disable the WebKit acceleration features with the following three commands
defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
defaults write com.apple.safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2AcceleratedDrawingEnabled 0
defaults write com.apple.safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2CanvasUsesAcceleratedDrawing 0

I tried this workaround in my MBA 2015 with 10.11.6 and it seems to be suppress the problem since nearly a month now (*fingers crossed').

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.