Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TAlright90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I'll keep this as brief as I can.

Got my MBP in 2016, right speaker blew randomly following a loud 'cracking' sound. Managed to get it replaced on the month my 1 yr warranty was due to expire.

The 'body' of my MBP was replaced, all was fine. Now, 4 months after the repair, the left speaker has run into trouble. I noticed the right speaker was outputting a louder sound than the left. Initially, there was absolutely minimal sound being emitted from the left speaker. I reset the NVRAM and SMC as suggested. Interestingly, after an NVRAM reset, the left speaker emits maybe 70% of the right (much louder than prior to the NVRAM reset). However, after perhaps 10 seconds of audio, the left speaker becomes more muffled and less quiet, almost as though the treble is all the way down.

I'm stumped as to what the issues is. I don't believe the problem is the same as my last as the NVRAM does help temporarily.

Any suggestions are appreciated 100x

I'm running MacOS Mojave.

Thanks!

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Is it you ?
Blowing them up ?
What were you doing when it happened ?

TAlright90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
First time: Played a song through spotify and it went 'CRACK'

Second: opened it from sleep and noticed it.

It is not me blowing them up. I'm fairly certain.

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
You are right, normally there should a max limit to prevent speakers damage.
But what is baffling is you made it work after NVRAM reset even for short while, so how could it if the hardware was damaged. ?
What other audio app do you have beside Spotify ?
There are unconfirmed rumors Adobe does that ?
Are you on Mojave ?

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
Left speaker blew on my 2016 15-inch after 15 days, new top case fitted and my 2017 after 14 months, being in Australia we have extended warranty via Consumer Law so no problem. Both times I wasn’t actually playing any sounds. First one was the empty trash sound that casused the noise. Second time just scroll a website with videos on Autoplay but muted. I don’t think apple knows how to stop it. Some people have reported the same deal with the 2018.

TAlright90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
But what is baffling is you made it work after NVRAM reset even for short while, so how could it if the hardware was damaged. ?

Exactly my thoughts. Simply swapping users improve the speaker for the initial minute.

I have an app called 'Bloom 2' - an audio mixer. I've only used this with headphones.
I have photoshop.
Running Mojave.

I don’t think apple knows how to stop it. Some people have reported the same deal with the 2018.

After speaking to Apple in depth about it, they've said it's not a common defect but never offer a fix..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.