Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
West Lafayette
When I reboot my MacBook, this is what I see - the momentary graphical glitches, and out of alignment login screen elements apart from the abnormal boot sequence. Can anyone throw some light as to what might be happening?

[doublepost=1479276487][/doublepost]Forgot to mention, it's the new space grey 15" MacBook pro with the touch bar.

Reactions: gujamin

troyremix1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
I can confirm I had the exact same issue when rebooting my MacBook Pro 15" 2016, I think it's some sort of software issue.

xboarder56

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
I wonder if anyone else have this problem as well?

No this is normal I bet you guys have File Vault encryption enabled thats what causes that when it boots to the recovery partition and then switches to the main partition. Did exact same thing on my MacBook Pro 2013

troyremix1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
No this is normal I bet you guys have File Vault encryption enabled thats what causes that when it boots to the recovery partition and then switches to the main partition. Did exact same thing on my MacBook Pro 2013
Thank you! I turned off the encryption and now everything's fine

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
The garbled glitchy flash that appears across the bottom (0:26) isn't a GPU fault?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
No problem its the way File Vault 2 works, you could use File Vault 1 but it only encrypts the home directory instead of the entire disk.
Think I'd rather have the glitchy screen and file encryption than no encryption.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
So no issue here, i think this thread can be close not to scare some other people

The garbled glitchy flash that appears across the bottom (0:26) isn't a GPU fault?

The thread isn't entire clear if that is being addressed, I can see some of the graphical element oddities which seem to be what you guys are talking about?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

The thread isn't entire clear if that is being addressed, I can see some of the graphical element oddities which seem to be what you guys are talking about?
Not a gpu fault same file vault! With 1 nothing occurs

xboarder56

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Nope when it flashes and glitches that's the kernel switching from the recovery partition to the main partition. It's been that way ever sense file vault 2 was released.

hemanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
West Lafayette
Wow, I'm a first time Mac user, so it scared me a little. Also, I hear ticks coming from the speakers during the boot sequence, what about that?

I know it seems like i'm nitpicking, but its the first time I've spent such amount on a laptop, so I'm being really paranoid!

troyremix1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
Wow, I'm a first time Mac user, so it scared me a little. Also, I hear ticks coming from the speakers during the boot sequence, what about that?

I know it seems like i'm nitpicking, but its the first time I've spent such amount on a laptop, so I'm being really paranoid!
So did it resolve your problem by turning off the FileVault encryption?

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, turning off disk encryption fixed the graphics glitches I was seeing. Thanks guys!
Sweet geebus people, turning off encryption, while it "fixes" the momentary graphics glitch as the system boots the new OS, is not a great idea.

Although if you ever have your laptop stolen, I'm sure that the thief will appreciate not only the easy access to all your files/personal information, but the fact that they don't have to view an annoying graphical hiccup on boot too :)

troyremix1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
Sweet geebus people, turning off encryption, while it "fixes" the momentary graphics glitch as the system boots the new OS, is not a great idea.

Although if you ever have your laptop stolen, I'm sure that the thief will appreciate not only the easy access to all your files/personal information, but the fact that they don't have to view an annoying graphical hiccup on boot too :)
Actually we were just making sure it's a software problem instead of a graphic card fail

Reactions: hemanth

hemanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
West Lafayette

True, I turned it back on once again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.