Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Hi,
This thread is for us that have the issue when the MacBook Pro 2016 are making some kind of pop / click sound. I did start this thread because we have posted trough many other threads that have some other topic so I just want to gather all in one thread.
And we have NOT installed Windows trough Bootcamp.

I do have the issue, and I did also have it on my other two replacements.
For me it don't happen during boot, it happens randomly when I use the MBP I can never reproduce it.
When I do hear it I can hear it from the right side of my MBP, for starter I did think it was from the speakers but now I'm not sure of that anymore.
Some times the sound can bee two times in the raw, and some times I'll not hear the sound for days.

As it so wide spread as it is I'm starting to think that it's because of a software issue?
I have been reading many thread and many people have been replacing there machines just to get an other one that have the exact same issue.
Maybe this issue are on every MBP 2016 but some people never notice it?

I do have a 13" nonTB standard config, and according to my research it does not matter what you have, some have the issue on a CTO and some other have it on TB version etc. So what version do you have?

According to the user @youness he did get a replay on his bug report of the issue:
"Engineering has determined that your bug report (30375539) is a duplicate of another issue (27481043) and will be closed."

From my experience regarding bug reports if the engineer thinks it's a hardware issue they use to replay and tell the one that reported the bug that.

Here is a video that are filmed by @justinus of the issue:

An other video of the issue filmed by @emiliano_ , you 'll hear it 6-8 seconds in the video:

So what do you think is it a Hardware issue? What is it?
If you also have it, please write when you have it if it's during boot, normal use or if it's randomly.
Also post when your computer was build, you can go to this link and type the serial no of your MBP to see the build month.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

To find your serial no just click Apple in the upper left corner -> About this Mac

For me it's October 2016, the first in line.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
As it so wide spread as it is I'm starting to think that it's because of a software issue?
I have been reading many thread and many people have been replacing there machines just to get an other one that have the exact same issue.
Maybe this issue are on every MBP 2016 but some people never notice it?

Given that the sound in that video is pretty faint, I wouldn't be surprised if people overlooked it. I haven't heard such a thing, in any case, and it appears most others haven't either. (There are people who get four keyboards in a row that don't work, but that doesn't mean most people have keyboard trouble.)

Calby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Given that the sound in that video is pretty faint, I wouldn't be surprised if people overlooked it. I haven't heard such a thing, in any case, and it appears most others haven't either. (There are people who get four keyboards in a row that don't work, but that doesn't mean most people have keyboard trouble.)

Well that's true.
Are you sure you don't hear this?

It's pretty hard to reproduce to a repair center also.
I don't know what causing the sound, that's the most irritating of it all.

I do have AppleCare so I don't worried about that, it's just irritating and also I want to know that my mbp is issue free as I need it for my studies.

Edit:
Yes, that is what I mean, it's only happens sometimes and the "pop" are not so load and they maybe even don't understand that it's from the mbp.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Out of interest, does this only happen when your Mac is charging or connected to an external display?

I sometimes get a similar sound from my 2015 rMB, but I think I've isolated it to the display/adapter combination I use at work. Haven't heard it under any other circumstances, and I'm "aware" of it.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Awesome! So if I use BootCamp to load up windows 10, it'll be safe and ready to go? Do I need to do anything special?

There's plenty of other threads regarding boot camp that's why I did start this one and I did also write in the topic not boot camp
[doublepost=1487995436][/doublepost]
Out of interest, does this only happen when your Mac is charging or connected to an external display?

I sometimes get a similar sound from my 2015 rMB, but I think I've isolated it to the display/adapter combination I use at work. Haven't heard it under any other circumstances, and I'm "aware" of it.

It's only happens when I have the charger plugged in, but that's because I never is without it, I'll try and se if it's the same without charger.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Well, I have done some more research or testing is the best word for it.
When I start it up in sun light, then the backlight for the keyboard don't start then as far as I can tell I don't hear the "click / pop" but when I start it up in the dark the "click / pop" comes when the keyboard are lighten up, when the backlight starts.

And if I reboot it again directly after I have been hearing the "click / pop" sound I can't reproduce the sound.

If I run the MBP a little while and then reboot it again I can hear the "click / pop" sound again.

Is this issue maybe related to the keyboard backlight?
If so, what is it?
Is it some kind of switch that are defect to turn on the light on the keyboard so it makes a sound?

Last edited:

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Most of the time I get this pop sound under heavy GPU load. Really loud and annoying. Seriously, worst MBP I ever owned.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Most of the time I get this pop sound under heavy GPU load. Really loud and annoying. Seriously, worst MBP I ever owned.

I agree with you, this is my 3rd one and I'm going to the store today to see if I can replace it to a MacBook Pro 2015 15" 16GB of ram - I need to pay 150USD more for it but it's totally worth it.
I can't handle this anymore, replacement after replacement - it's not OK.

evry1lovej

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2017
Did you guys bring it to the genius bar? I couldn't reproduce the sound if I wanted to either. Do you think they'll replace it or something? I'm still waiting on the status change

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I believe I have the same issue. In my case it is completely random, not having to do with boot or boot camp (which I don't have on my tbMBP). It's a like a very short "crackle" or "pop" sound. At first I thought I was imagining things but I've heard it enough that it can't be. Not sure if it's a problem other than being annoying.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I have a 13' tMBP built in early January and have had this issue a few times in the last few days. Never noticed it since early March when I first got the machine until a few nights ago when I was watching a video and doing some encoding in the background. There were a few clicks in the space of a few seconds and the machine was running pretty warm.

I also notice a feint pop whenever I boot up the machine. It's not as loud as when I first heard it so it's possible that it's been happening more frequently but I haven't been listening out for it and/or my kids were around and drowning out the sound.

Hope there are answers as to what this is and whether we need to be concerned.

Nemozini

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
It makes popping sounds at anytime, the intensity of the sound varies.
  • Pops while idle
  • Pops while playing a video game
  • Pops in windows/bootcamp
  • Pops when no OS is installed / in start up disk.
  • Pops on charger
  • Pops on battery
During first 2 weeks, it didn't make much popping noises or maybe it did but I thought it was something else.
Sometimes it will pop 3 times within 5 minutes. Other times it can go for 20 to 30 minutes without a pop.

I got my laptop in Feb 2017 long after the bug was fixed and my speakers are working fine in macos and windows. Still working fine even after I removed windows. No crackling sounds either. I can hear the fans spin at load normally too.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I got my laptop in Feb 2017 long after the bug was fixed and my speakers are working fine in macos and windows. Still working fine even after I removed windows. No crackling sounds either. I can hear the fans spin at load normally too.
Am I missing something? There was a fix? Software or hardware? Don't recall reading any thing about it or that it was even officially acknowledged. Does this mean all previously manufactured laptops are inherently defective? Sorry for all the questions

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Am I missing something? There was a fix? Software or hardware? Don't recall reading any thing about it or that it was even officially acknowledged. Does this mean all previously manufactured laptops are inherently defective? Sorry for all the questions

Think it's a reference to the bug that caused speakers to crackle when running Boot Camp. That was fixed early.

Nemozini

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
Some observations, might be wrong.

It seems the intensity of the pops increases during heat transitions. Going from cold to hot = more pops. same when temperature is going down. If it stays at the same temperature whether cold or hot, the pops are less frequent. I found this out when trying dota 2.

Guessing it might be the sound of a plastic part in contact with a metallic part expanding and contracting. The parts are probably not assembled correctly during manufacturing and tolerances are tight enough for anything to become an issue.

This might also explain the pops when the charger is plugged in, the batteries get hot while charging. I bet you would stop hearing the pops after a while once it hits 100% charge and the batteries cool off while it stays plugged in.

I will keep testing...

Reactions: Sanpete

Nemozini

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
I'm almost certain now that the pop sound comes from the screen hinges. They are affected by temperture and build up of tension. If you guess and prematurely move your screen before tension is released due to temperture changes, you hear the same pop sound as soon as you start moving your screen.

If you have the same issue, try reproducing by running a demanding application to generate heat then attempt to gently move your screen inwards.

If you move your screen too frequently, you will slowly release the tension without hearing the pops. If you are too late, it will pop by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.