Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanbaucke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Newport Beach, CA
I have recently purchased a Macbook Pro 2017 15", and am having some connectivity weirdness w/ my 4k Monitors.

Previously both were connected via DP -> Mini-DP on my 2013 Macbook Pro 15", so I know both of the cables are good.

I purchased two Arktek Mini-DP to USB-C adapters from Amazon and attempted to connect both monitors to the 2017 Macbook Pro, and discovered that only 1 would be recognized and display when I connected them both at the same time, in the 2 USB-C ports on the same-side of the computer.

I also discovered, that if I connect each monitor to one of the USB-C port on opposite sides of the machine, both screens would be recognized and displayed.

I also have a Genuine Apple Thunderbolt 3 to USB-C: I discovered that when it is connected to any of the USB-C ports on the machine, it will recognize and connect to the monitor, but the other Mini-DP to USB-C to Mini-DP adapters will NOT recognize/connect, to any of the ports, regardless of side.

The monitor does briefly light when I connect the cables indicating it's receiving some kind of signal, but I do not get a display that is recognized in the OS (Mac OS 10.13.3 currently)

All other USB-C devices function normally.

Could this be a symptom my Arktek adapters? Or does the Macbook Pro 2017 not support connecting multiple Mini-DP to USB-C on the same side of the machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.