Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisisthesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
New to the forum! Hello all!

I'm about to replace my 2010 white macbook with the 2017 15" macbook pro highest standard spec. The only concern is the potential upgrade to the 3.1 processor over the standard 2.9.

I'm going to be using the macbook primarily for design, so ill be using photoshop, indesign and illustrator.

Will i notice the difference between the two or shall i save myself the extra £180 as it's pretty expensive in general.

Many thanks,

Sam

Reactions: nortonandreev

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
New to the forum! Hello all!

I'm about to replace my 2010 white macbook with the 2017 15" macbook pro highest standard spec. The only concern is the potential upgrade to the 3.1 processor over the standard 2.9.

I'm going to be using the macbook primarily for design, so ill be using photoshop, indesign and illustrator.

Will i notice the difference between the two or shall i save myself the extra £180 as it's pretty expensive in general.

Many thanks,

Sam
I'm going to use it for the same things and I'm getting the 2.9GHz configuration.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
The 3.1 upgrade, IMHO, only makes sense where you are doing a lot of repetitive, time-consuming tasks, like compiling large programs, Handbrake, etc. The extra 1-3% speed might matter then, otherwise it's just wasted money. I did this once with my early 2011 - wanted a matte screen, and the only MBP 15 that Apple Store had in stock was a fully-specced one with the upgraded CPU. Never once was I able to tell the difference between that one and my wife's which had the high-end standard CPU.

thisisthesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow... Last chance? Definately not worth the extra cash?

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow... Last chance? Definately not worth the extra cash?

Yes defiantly not worth the extra cash. You could use that extra cash on Apple Care :)

I was in the same boat as you but after many thoughts ended up buying the mid 2017 15" highest specs model with apple care (as I'm planning to keep it for at least 3 years) and its lightening fast.

Btw, I upgraded from late 2013 13" MBP.

Good luck!

thisisthesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Yes defiantly not worth the extra cash. You could use that extra cash on Apple Care :)

I was in the same boat as you but after many thoughts ended up buying the mid 2017 15" highest specs model with apple care (as I'm planning to keep it for at least 3 years) and its lightening fast.

Btw, I upgraded from late 2013 13" MBP.

Good luck!

Thank you! How much is apple care these days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.