Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosnooly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Hi, is there a solution to connect this monitor (Dell U2415 24") to late Macbook pro 13" (2017)?
I need to get 60Hz at least AND ability to use monitor's ports to full speed.

Thanks.

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Hi, is there a solution to connect this monitor (Dell U2415 24") to late Macbook pro 13" (2017)?

Thanks.

I will have mine (15", 2017) on Friday, so will be able to answer that. My monitor is similar, Dell U2515H. Got the cable already (USB-C to Display Port at 60Hz.), which is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WD66SKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the monitor ports, I'm going to use this hub: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTNODWR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll see how it works and let you know.

sosnooly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Ok, the delivery was late. Instead of Friday, I've got it yesterday.

I've tested the cable - usb-c to display port - works well, full resolution at 60Hz.

The dock also works without any problems.

And the Macbook Pro itself - I love it. Switched from 2011 and it's a huge upgrade. Starting with the performance, disk speed, screen, graphics, finish quality and the Touch Bar. Bit pricey, but after a day with it - it's money well spend for an upgrade, that will last 3-5 years. Recommending.

Went for 15", 2.8, 512 SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560.

sosnooly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013

I've tested the cable - usb-c to display port - works well, full resolution at 60Hz.

And the Macbook Pro itself - I love it. Switched from 2011 and it's a huge upgrade. Starting with the performance, disk speed, screen, graphics, finish quality and the Touch Bar. Bit pricey, but after a day with it - it's money well spend for an upgrade, that will last 3-5 years. Recommending.

Thanks! So there is no doubt we have at least one monitor that works with newest mbp 2017 out of the box!
[doublepost=1498735412][/doublepost]

I guess I go full paranoia, could you please provide the link to your monitor?

skornos

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Hey leez, thanks for the info, I am just buying the same configuration as you and I have the very same external display (Dell U2515H). Did you have to activate DP 1.2 in the monitor settings?

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Hey leez, thanks for the info, I am just buying the same configuration as you and I have the very same external display (Dell U2515H). Did you have to activate DP 1.2 in the monitor settings?

Hi skornos,

I didn't have to activate anything. Just connected and it worked, but...

Had problems in Windows 10, bootcamp. W10 thrown messages, that it can't identify the display. I had to re-connect the monitor from time to time.

Switched to HDMI cable and no more problems. Works great in macOS and W10, bootcamp.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks.
The monitors usb ports are only for charging and power it says so on dells website,

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/dell-24-ultrasharp-monitor-u2415/spd/dell-u2415

you will need a thunderbolt 3 or usb c monitor with dock cabalities to have use of USB ports on a monitor from your Mac. They will be far more expensive.

I would buy a little dock like this and use that to connect monitor and peripherals

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Shuttle-100W-Charging-Resolution-Space-Gray/dp/B073WW6H9H

Last edited:

M24

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017

Hi Leez,

I have a Dell monitor U2415 and a HDMI-HDMI cable, which works with my old macbook and an adapter HDMI-thunderbolt. Should it be enough with the dock and my (HDMI-HDMI) cable connected to the dock for my new macbook? Or do I have to buy the usb-c to DP cable too?

Thanks,
M.

leez

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Hi Leez,

I have a Dell monitor U2415 and a HDMI-HDMI cable, which works with my old macbook and an adapter HDMI-thunderbolt. Should it be enough with the dock and my (HDMI-HDMI) cable connected to the dock for my new macbook? Or do I have to buy the usb-c to DP cable too?

Thanks,
M.

Works fine with HDMI to HDMI. Go for it.

Usb-C to DP cable worked fine under macOS for me. It caused some trouble under Win10 (bootcamp). Had messages about the display not being recognised (but it worked as well). Messages were annoying, so I've switched to HDMI-HDMI and no more problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.