Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobinAb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi everyone (especially graphic designers) please help,

I'm considering on buying the 15" 2017 Macbook Pro with specs 256GB; 2.8GHz; 16GB. That's the only specs that I can afford and I will definitely buy external hard drive for storage. I've been hearing some negative reviews on the 2016 model and saying that the 2017 model isn't that much of a difference but most of them are using editing apps such as Final Cut. I've been trying to get the 2015 model but apparently they don't sell it anymore (if been to all the apple-authorized resellers; we don't have apple store here) so I'm stuck with 2017 model.

I'm a graphic designer by trade and on daily basis, I would use (3 seperate conditions):

1. Adobe Illustrator (for vector illustrations; sometimes with textures) and Adobe Photoshop (for illustrations and light editing) simultaneously or;

2. Adobe Illustrator alone or Adobe Photoshop alone or;

3. Adobe InDesign

I will definitely play Spotify and/or Youtube while working on one of those conditions.

Will it have problems in case of performance an battery life? My old laptop is the 2013 ASUS with 8GB RAM and 2.4GHz processor and a heavy problem in battery life (I forgot the name of the model). I thought of upgrading to Mac because the display would be very beneficial comparing to working in my old laptop that gives very muted colours.

I'm planning for this to last about 4-5 years and I NEED it to last that long because I don't think I can afford to buy another one.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I've been trying to get the 2015 model but apparently they don't sell it anymore"

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!
Incorrect! ;)

Go to store.apple.com.
Go to the MacBook Pro page (you won't see the 2015 model)
Click the "buy" button
Click "15-inch"
NOW scroll downwards -- that's where the 2015 15" is.
It's shown as the 2.2ghz "Silver" model (with thunderbolt2 ports)

Actually, more configuration choices for the 2015 model are probably available in "Apple Refurbished"...

Last edited:

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Adobe Photoshop CC is flakey on my imac and from what ive read others as well, it does not 'save' after a period of activity. Im not sure if its the new APFS file system or a third party filter which is causing the havoc, but its something to consider if youll be on High Sierra.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It’s more powerful, lighter and thinner with better far better graphics than the 2015 model not to mention the much faster input output with thunderbolt 3.
I must say I would be looking at 512gb ssd myself with all those apps loaded and space for projects needed. External storage may be a consideration but if you have external storage already then a few dollars on the new cable needed, could mean you can afford an internal storage upgrade.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
4 to 5 years is a long time for any electronic device, but if you treat a MBP well, it's a realistic timeframe. My 2002 PowerBook G4 is still functional and has been replaced by a 2012 MBP that is still in heavy use and running 24/7. A 2015 MBP is my second Mac in use, the one with dGPU. I tend to buy maxed out BTO as specs are usually changing fast, software is demanding more and more and I want to keep a Mac as long as possible, too. If you say that you want to last it such a long time, even a 512 GB SSD is quite small and if somehow possible for you, I'd go for a 1 TB SSD. The SSD is soldered in the 2017 model and can't be replaced easily.

If you're new to Mac, you'll notice sooner or later that it doesn't always make sense to be on the latest macOS release for stable production use. As a MBP 2017 can run a quite matured macOS Sierra 10.12.6, I'd try to get it with Sierra and update later this year to macOS High Sierra 10.13.x that is the standard OS shipped with a new MBP. Even if some MR members will complain that High Sierra is working well, I won't consider it on my production system, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.