Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zen warrior9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Hey, I have a new MacBook Pro 2017 with touch bar, and yesterday I went to login, and it just kept restarting saying there was a problem with the computer, after loading half way. I’ve tried everything from loading as guest to recovery mode, to disk utility to resetting PRAM, but everything just gives me the circle with the line crossed through, what do I do?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
It's new and under warranty. Take in to Apple and have them look at it.

I hope you have a good backup.

Exactly correct.

I'd suggest trying recovery on a different internet connection on the chance it isn't connecting, but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Good luck!

Zen warrior9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
So my new 2017 MacBook Pro is in a login loop, and I cannot boot into safe mode, or internet recovery because it shows me the circle with a line through it. Now i would just have restored my laptop, but i just found up that a critical Xcode file that is saved to Dropbox is missing, and thats months of work. I have tried to use Target disk mode but the hard drive isn't showing up, but shows up in disk utility, (which doesn't give me options, as I can't try to fix the hard drive). so is there any way I can get this one file of my computer? I have also heard that the apple store can restore a computer without losing the data, is that true?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Apple has a $99 service to extract data from late model MBPs. There is a data connection on the MBPs logic board so the entire system doesn’t have to boot in order for them to get your data.

I have read one story here where someone paid the $99 in store, then got the $99 credited back after calling Apple and explaining it was the MBP’s failure that caused the need for data extraction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.