Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdd/soc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Poway, California
Goodness I was going to purchase a new 2017 MacPro, but because in only come with the USB-C ports it is useless to me. How about having two USB ports and/or the same ports on the old unit. I guess i will just keep my old unit and they lose a sale. Sad. As someone that produces music the audio interfaces don't match up to the new computer. My lightning bus-powered interface, Resident Audio, doesn't support it. What a joke. Make me think of Betamax. jdd

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
This is a beaten to death topic in the MacBook Pro section. Solution really is either buying adapters, docks, or my preference buying cables that fit whatever port is needed externally. Or obviously not buying the laptop at all.

It is what it is. There really is nothing that can be done about it unless Apple releases another machine at some stage.

Ashton Cofer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The solution is actually quite simple as long as you are always using the same equipment. Just purchase a couple USB A to USB C adapters that can attach to the end of your USB A equipment. They can just stay on your equipment permanently and it will be as if your equipment uses USB C. Here's a link to some cheap adapters on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Adapte...qid=1508295277&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+c+to+usb+a (2 for $9.99)

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Most of USB-Sound interface can operating "direct" connect to USB-C though "Apple USB-A to C Connector".
The expensive connector with HDMI may have problem with Sound Interface.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Goodness I was going to purchase a new 2017 MacPro, but because in only come with the USB-C ports it is useless to me. How about having two USB ports and/or the same ports on the old unit. I guess i will just keep my old unit and they lose a sale. Sad. As someone that produces music the audio interfaces don't match up to the new computer. My lightning bus-powered interface, Resident Audio, doesn't support it. What a joke. Make me think of Betamax. jdd

With USB C its VHS everything else is Betamax and will be superceded over the next couple of years.

However how about something like this little beauty to provide all those legacy port options and charging in one little portable box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WW6H9H/ref=sr_ob_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508323827&sr=8-3

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Isn’t your interface Thunderbolt? Just get a TB2->TB3 adapter. The USB-C form factor are actually Thunderbolt 3 connections.

And I’m assuming you mean MacBook Pro because nobody knows the ports on the (rumored) next generation Mac Pro yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.