Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simo1730

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Martin, Slovakia
Hey,

I'm not paranoid or anything, It's just super irritating especially in the night when W shines as some party club while others are calmly dimmed. I want to ask if I'm the only one with this problem and if it's worth taking it to Apple Store.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 1,186

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hey,

I'm not paranoid or anything, It's just super irritating especially in the night when W shines as some party club while others are calmly dimmed. I want to ask if I'm the only one with this problem and if it's worth taking it to Apple Store.
Admittedly, that’s a somewhat useful feature for gamers ;) But seriously, I’ve never seen that on my MBPs or on any other MBPs I’ve seen among friends, etc. All the keyboard lighting I’ve seen have been very uniform. There must be some sort of issue with that specific LED under the key. How long have you had the system? Was it like this from day one out of the box? If you adjust the keyboard brightness, does the key always stay brighter than the others regardless of brightness level? What about when you turn off keyboard lighting?

simo1730

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Martin, Slovakia
It could have some connection with gaming tho, because the day I bought this MacBook, 10th of December, I have bought also The DOOM Game and even though I don't game much, I have installed bootcamp and since I am huge DOOM fan, completed it in less than a week. That was my first game on computer in a while. Some time after, I was just occasionally playing multiplayer, and started noticing it. It definitely wasn't like that from the beginning and the MacBook isn't still even one month old.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
All kidding aside, I would take it in since it is new. The lighting is not necessarily the most uniform, but it should dim and brighten with the others.

garaig

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Hungary
Admittedly, that’s a somewhat useful feature for gamers ;) But seriously, I’ve never seen that on my MBPs or on any other MBPs I’ve seen among friends, etc. All the keyboard lighting I’ve seen have been very uniform. There must be some sort of issue with that specific LED under the key. How long have you had the system? Was it like this from day one out of the box? If you adjust the keyboard brightness, does the key always stay brighter than the others regardless of brightness level? What about when you turn off keyboard lighting?

In this case your eyes can't perceive the difference between the power of lights on the keyboard (like my wife :)). All Mac-s and all PC-s which have this feature have this issue. Some is stronger some is weaker but all keyboard are uneven.
[doublepost=1520615442][/doublepost]Mine is have the same issue but not in this level. I discovered that at E.
[doublepost=1520616071][/doublepost]
Hey,

All about them has this issue, but this level is too much...

Attachments

• IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 354

garaig

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Hungary
It could have some connection with gaming tho, because the day I bought this MacBook, 10th of December, I have bought also The DOOM Game and even though I don't game much, I have installed bootcamp and since I am huge DOOM fan, completed it in less than a week. That was my first game on computer in a while. Some time after, I was just occasionally playing multiplayer, and started noticing it. It definitely wasn't like that from the beginning and the MacBook isn't still even one month old.
I suppose that is in connection with hot. Because my problem has still since I use my one month old machine with added LCD monitor and the MacBook Pro is hot enough in that time. And I am in totally sure my keyboard lighting was more uniform then now...

garaig

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Hungary
HI Guys, I have found the explanation of this phenomenon. simo1730 I think you used the W keys for the game. When the 2017 MBP is hot, the pressured key will be brighter than others. So when you played the DOOM, the MBP was hot, and you used the W key, that became brighter! If you warmed up the machine including the keyboard, and you press the key, it will be brighter! Try it! :-D I had brighter E, because we use in the Hungarian text the E key most times. I tried the pressure (not with power, only I kept down) the R when my MBP was hot, and the result is the same than E!!!!
I think all keys will be the same with time. You have to see that like new car :) After 1000 miles and more that will be better and better :-D

A_Furry

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
I am now having this problem on a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro. I don't exactly know what happened, because I don't use that key while gaming. I have always realized something weird with the M key, but just today is was EXTREMELY noticeable.

I am hoping that it is going to get better with time, but also the keyboard is dimmer then normal from what I know, so that could also be part of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.