Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dubious_citation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Hi all,

I am in the market for a computer and I'm considering the MacBook pro 13". When I'm away from my desk I think the interested Intel video will be fine but when I'm at a desk I will probably want a bit more graphics horsepower, external storage how time machine, larger monitor, etc. I am looking for an eGPU with SATA built in that will work with the MacBook Pro 13" touch 2018 model. Have you personally used one and what caveats should I know? I may need to run Windows and Linux sometimes. Do these enclosures work for that? Can I use an egpu enclosurewith a SATA port and 3.5 inch Bay or will I need to get a separate enclosure and daisychain them?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I'd personally recommend just getting a gpu dock and then a separate usb-c/thunderbolt dock with all the ports you need...sure it's not one cable do all, but two isn't bad.

A few reasons for this. GPU docks with extra ports are big money. I think the cheapest ones are at least $500 without a gpu. Two, you may have bandwidth issues and if doing graphic intensive tasks, while using the hub for other things you may get a performance downgrade.

I personally have the entry level Sonnet Breakaway box with a Radeon 480 and then a separate usb c hub which connects ethernet, power, and usb connection to my monitor (which acts as a usb hub). I come home, plug in two cables to my laptop and it turns into a full desktop workstation.

Dubious_citation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
...you may have bandwidth issues and if doing graphic intensive tasks, while using the hub for other things you may get a performance downgrade.[\QUOTE]

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really considered bandwidth but I see how that could be an issue. I haven't figured out the prices yet... I think you are right about the storage enclosure too. I'll probably want a raid anyway.....

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.