Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a 15-inch 2018 2.2 Ghz MacBook Pro and it's been running whatever the latest Big Sur has been for the past few months. These past years, this Mac has been instantaneous in its operation. If I do something like work and export in FCPX, it can slow down a little while the app and Mac is working hard - which is fine and expected.

However, my Mac remains very laggy even after I've quit the app. I'll have every app closed and will just open up Safari and start typing a name in the browser. That can take a few seconds for the typing to even register. It misses letters if I type them quickly. Opening new tabs and windows takes much longer whereas it used to be instantaneous.

My current solution is to restart the Mac and when it boots up from scratch, it's back to being instantaneous in its response. However, this doesn't seem reasonable. I shouldn't be forced to keep restarting my computer every time after I've used any serious app.

No idea what's going on here. I think it might be a Big Sur thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.