Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edjusted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Is this normal behavior? With older MBP's, when it's shutdown and closed, I could plug in my dock with power and USB accessories & external monitor, and it would power on automatically and I'd get the login screen on the external monitor.

Older MBP:
1. leaving the lid closed and the laptop off, plug in the power and USB hub
2. there is no step 2! I can log in and do everything else from my external monitor and keyboard.

With the 2018 MBP, I have to go through these steps:
1. plug in my USB-C dock (which includes an HDMI connection to my external monitor)
2. open the MBP lid to get it to power on
3. log in *on* the MBP (up until this point, the external monitor would not show anything)
4. *after* I log in *on* the MBP, I can close the lid and the external monitor will kick in

Is step 3 normal? It's not that big of a deal, but I wish I could just plug in my USB-C dock, then do everything, including logging in, on my external monitor and external keyboard.

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
From what I understand the new MBP starts its boot process from the T2 chip then does a handoff that’s why you have that behavior.

Reactions: Ploki

edjusted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks all. Nice to know that there's nothing wrong with my Mac. Sigh. I feel like little things keep getting worse and worse with the new MBPs even as the performance gets way better.

Reactions: vemac575

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I agree. A lot of the small stuff that is nice to have, keeps getting shoved over for performance and size.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Is this normal behavior? With older MBP's, when it's shutdown and closed, I could plug in my dock with power and USB accessories & external monitor, and it would power on automatically and I'd get the login screen on the external monitor.

Older MBP:
1. leaving the lid closed and the laptop off, plug in the power and USB hub
2. there is no step 2! I can log in and do everything else from my external monitor and keyboard.

With the 2018 MBP, I have to go through these steps:
1. plug in my USB-C dock (which includes an HDMI connection to my external monitor)
2. open the MBP lid to get it to power on
3. log in *on* the MBP (up until this point, the external monitor would not show anything)
4. *after* I log in *on* the MBP, I can close the lid and the external monitor will kick in

Is step 3 normal? It's not that big of a deal, but I wish I could just plug in my USB-C dock, then do everything, including logging in, on my external monitor and external keyboard.
Lol yeah I find that to be quite normal would you want some random person just having the ability to plug in your computer and have access to all of your files?

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Lol yeah I find that to be quite normal would you want some random person just having the ability to plug in your computer and have access to all of your files?
You still need to log in, he is complaining about losing the ability to see the log-in page on external monitors after plug-in.

Reactions: SDColorado

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I agree. A lot of the small stuff that is nice to have, keeps getting shoved over for performance and size.
This got shoved over for security only iirc.

also i really dont mind small stuff being shoved over for *performance*, i just dont think that's the case. They did no sacrifices for performance..

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
This got shoved over for security only iirc.
I don't think to open the lid to type-in password increase security. It only increased the inconvenience of using it as a desktop replacement at home.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I do not own 2018, I am replying to OP. If the problem described by OP is real, I might not consider another mbp in the future

It has to do with T2 chip and hardware encryption via T2 chip. So until you enter your password, the computer is locked via T2, meaning ports are disabled (or something like that, its been a while).
If you don't use disk encryption it's fine.
If you need it and do, then you should welcome this.

I don't use FileVault. I dont know why so many people do frankly... probably because its enabled by default.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
It has to do with T2 chip and hardware encryption via T2 chip. So until you enter your password, the computer is locked via T2, meaning ports are disabled (or something like that, its been a while).
If you don't use disk encryption it's fine.
If you need it and do, then you should welcome this.

I don't use FileVault. I dont know why so many people do frankly... probably because its enabled by default.

TY for the info, FileVault is the worst feature by far in macOS, and I do not and will not use it.

zer0gravity

Suspended
Dec 13, 2018
My 2018 MBP boots up with the apple logo on the MBP screen itself, then once it hits the login screen that shows up on the external monitor. Mine is hooked up to a real TB3 Caldigit TS3 dock though not just a usb-c hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.