Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I believe this usually happens after connecting an EGPU, but I have noticed instances of when I haven't used an EGPU all day and it still fails to sleep after closing the lid.

This is a huge problem because sometimes I would close the lid and immediately stick it in my bag. When I grab my MacBook later, it feels extremely hot to touch (almost painful to hold) and my battery life goes down to 30% from 100%.

Is there a fix for this? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is a huge problem because sometimes I would close the lid and immediately stick it in my bag.
I've seen some YT which they had discussed this on some level as its related to the EGPU. I think rebooting the mac or as I do, shutting down is your safest bet.

I had this occur on my non-mac laptops back in the day, and in all honesty, when I'm grabbing my laptop to go anywhere I shut it down, its now habit, as I don't want to take a chance in cooking the laptop to death in is case

Reactions: farewelwilliams

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I've seen some YT which they had discussed this on some level as its related to the EGPU. I think rebooting the mac or as I do, shutting down is your safest bet.

I had this occur on my non-mac laptops back in the day, and in all honesty, when I'm grabbing my laptop to go anywhere I shut it down, its now habit, as I don't want to take a chance in cooking the laptop to death in is case

That just seems so silly to me as that's the opposite of having a laptop - instant on and wake from sleep (yes a boot up only takes ~10 seconds now, but still), or worrying that Apple did not build a $3K laptop properly where you risk cooking your machine by using it exactly as you're suppose to.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
That just seems so silly to me as that's the opposite of having a laptop - instant on and wake from sleep (yes a boot up only takes ~10 seconds now, but still), or worrying that Apple did not build a $3K laptop properly where you risk cooking your machine by using it exactly as you're suppose to.

It definitely sucks, but at least we have really fast SSDs now and not HDDs. I shudder to think about the boot times on my old 2009 Air with a 4200 RPM HDD, wtf.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
i'm just surprised that the macbook won't shutdown due to excessive heat. sometimes the laptop would be so hot that i can't even touch the keyboard. there's no way that this heat could be good for the battery. much worse, could cause the battery to expand and catch fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.