Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Hello
I own a MacBookPro 2018 i9 (highest frequency), 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Since I am a wedding photographer I work with Lightroom CC (current version). And beside of the open MacBook Pro Screen I am using the EIZO 27" 2550px x xxxpx. Currently I see Mac fan is blowing on a high frequency when working/exporting in LR.
Now I would like to attach the LG Ultrafine 5k as additional screen. But I am afraid, that the Mac becomes stuttering/slowier...
So my questions:

1. When I am using both screens I have to expecting any slow downs while working with LightRoom?
  2. If so, would it help when I use MacBook in Clamshell mode (closed screen)?
  3. Does anyone has any experienced with this screen in combination with photo workflow?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards
Alex

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Your MacBook will always use the dGPU for external screens as that is how it’s wired. This will increase the load and cause the fans to spin up couple that with the high cpu usage of exporting in lightroom and you have a hot laptop. You have a couple of options you can use an app to limit the cpu usage for lightroom this will slow it down but control heat or you can swap to a more efficient better controlled app for editing photos.

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
app to limit the cpu usage for lightroom this will slow it down but control heat or you can swap to a more efficient better controlled app for editing photos.
Thanks for your advise. What's the "drawback" of hot MacBook? I don't think any damages will be happened?

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Thanks for your advise. What's the "drawback" of hot MacBook? I don't think any damages will be happened?
Technically speaking the MacBook is supposed to have safeguards that would prevent any damage if it runs too hot. I mean it depends on your level of concern... many people (myself included) are slightly OCD about keeping our machines cool, because traditional wisdom is a hot computer leads to faster component failure, while others argue that the new machines are designed for that level of heat in mind.

My opinion is this, if you need the mobility of a laptop and can’t afford a desktop (I.e. iMac or other), then get the 15” MBP and don’t worry about the heat, it’ll do what you are asking to use it for. The i9 might be more prone to overheating, but that might improve with future macOS updates (there are plenty of threads on that topic).

If however you need the power but don’t necessarily need the mobility, get a desktop like an iMac, and buy a mobile device like a smaller MacBook or iPad for light mobile work. iMacs have better thermal management and can sustain much better heavy use.

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Okay, when I am using the Ultrafine 5k Screen additional, then it will be contraproductive. Means temperature will be higher and the speed will be throttled?

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
When you run the MBP in clamshell mode and attach it to an external monitor, I believe people have said that it doesn't cool as well, so yes, that could mean in theory that it will be throttled quicker. I'm not sure in practice how much that matters.

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
When you run the MBP in clamshell mode and attach it to an external monitor, I believe people have said that it doesn't cool as well, so yes, that could mean in theory that it will be throttled quicker. I'm not sure in practice how much that matters.
Hm, I planned to use the screen of my MacBook Pro, the existing 2550px 27" screen from EIZO plus the 5k Screen. Maybe to much? What you guys think when I contact Apple directly they can give me a competitive ansewr?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hm, I planned to use the screen of my MacBook Pro, the existing 2550px 27" screen from EIZO plus the 5k Screen. Maybe to much? What you guys think when I contact Apple directly they can give me a competitive ansewr?
You are better off asking here!! Apple will say it is designed to run up to 2 5 k screens externally and that it will manage its own heat.

In practice it will be running a lot of pixels and will heat up and throttle especially if the software is badly optimised.

Reactions: mh`

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
You are better off asking here!! Apple will say it is designed to run up to 2 5 k screens externally and that it will manage its own heat.

In practice it will be running a lot of pixels and will heat up and throttle especially if the software is badly optimised.
Yes you're right. I had a chat with Apple "pro". It was a disappointed the guy has no idea and needed to ask another colleagues for several times. The conclusion is, that he couldn't give me an answer :-( . Hm, too bad. Shall I go to to buy this screen on my own risk? Maybe I can switch off the 5k Screen when heavy workload is required?

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
After long thoughts I decided to biz a 4K Eizo Screen instead. The uncertainties with 5k Screens and high workload is too high. Anyhow thanks for our sharing your thoughts.

pubmsu

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Maybe it is too late for you, but there should be absolutely no issue running 5K UltraFine with your model of MBP. I run mine with 2016 MBP 15 dGPU 455 with no issue at all.

avolmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Maybe it is too late for you, but there should be absolutely no issue running 5K UltraFine with your model of MBP. I run mine with 2016 MBP 15 dGPU 455 with no issue at all.
Yes too late ;-). You said that you hadn’t any issue with 5k Display. So I assume that you didn’t really stressed your Mac with applications? I have the 4K Screen now. When open Mac display and 4K screen AND another 2550px Display my Mac becomes a bit slowier and hotter. So I closed the Mac display and it runs much better.

pubmsu

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Yes too late ;-). You said that you hadn’t any issue with 5k Display. So I assume that you didn’t really stressed your Mac with applications? I have the 4K Screen now. When open Mac display and 4K screen AND another 2550px Display my Mac becomes a bit slowier and hotter. So I closed the Mac display and it runs much better.

That's really surprising! Makes me think that these laptops are then still not proper desktop replacements.

With one single 5K, things are super smooth even under heavy productivity workload (nothing processor intensive but close to hundred Chrome tabs with 20+ web apps, MS Office apps, etc.).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
That's really surprising! Makes me think that these laptops are then still not proper desktop replacements.

With one single 5K, things are super smooth even under heavy productivity workload (nothing processor intensive but close to hundred Chrome tabs with 20+ web apps, MS Office apps, etc.).
True Desktop replacement laptops are 10lbs 2 inches thick and the battery lasts a couple of hours. All decent thin light laptops make compromises in performance it’s that simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.