Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook Pro 2018 owner, do you have worse throttle issue in Mojave than High Sierra with patch?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

cesboa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Hi. I just updated from 10.13 -> 10.14 on the i9 MacBook Pro and now major throttling issue is back. Not like in High Sierra before the fix from apple, but just constant lower multicore clock speed (~2.6 in 10.14 from ~3.0 in 10.13). Cinebench has dropped from ~1050 to ~850 over 10 runs (delta).

Maybe I was stupid enough to believed that apple has carried over the fixes from the High Sierra patch, but that isn't the case and Mojave is much slower in multicore operations on the 2018 MacBook Pro.

Any other have the same issue?

I tried resetting SMC etc, running fan control (which is a bit of an issue in Mojave + T2). I (again) was stupid enough not to make a timemachine of High Sierra, so downgrading is a bit of a pain now - but I need the extra 20% that I paid for... :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.12.42.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.12.42.png
    758.6 KB · Views: 378

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's horrible.
Here's my Cinebench. I didn't bother with temps, but I have the base 2.2MBP. Let me add that I did NOT upgrade to Mojave.

2018-11-08_07-10-08.png

qkrgusdb33

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
I don't know much about computers so I can't give you detail answers, But yes, I do feel the kind of same that my MBP 2018 15 base model got kind of slower and hotter and fan got kind of more louder after Mojave update.
But I'm not 100% sure, but I just kind of feel like it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But I'm not 100% sure, but I just kind of feel like it
Well sometimes that's enough. I've largely refrained from upgrading to Mojave for the simple fact that my MBP is running well and problem free with HS. I don't care, or need the extra features of mojave, i.e., I don't care about dark mode.

Reactions: Natzoo

cesboa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Well sometimes that's enough. I've largely refrained from upgrading to Mojave for the simple fact that my MBP is running well and problem free with HS. I don't care, or need the extra features of mojave, i.e., I don't care about dark mode.

You are absolutely right, where were you 24 hours ago ;)
I always wait a few .x updates, but Apple forces us to update because we need to run the latest Xcode for iOS development.

I tried running the Cinebench test again to see if it helped to switch to the Vega eGPU attached, so CPU+GPU doesn't share TDP... That didn't help one bit, running 2,4Ghz at worst. I'm going back to High Sierra for now and use another machine for Mojave...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 13.31.55.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 13.31.55.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 179

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Interesting, I'm on the base i7 (6 core 2.2ghz 15inch) and I just averaged 966 after running 5 tests.

I did another 5 tests at max rpm on both fans using SpeedFan and I roughly got 960... so about the same given the variability in background programs running.

That's very weird, I would have thought the i9 would have been hitting low thousands at least.

Dumb question and I know the answer but I have to ask. Are you in a super hot room i.e. 35degrees C or above? I've noticed that my render speeds are a lot quicker now than before. The summer in the UK was ferociously hot, ambient room temperature was pushing 38 at times, it's now settled to around 18 degrees, which is a lot nicer for my Mac !

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi. I just updated from 10.13 -> 10.14 on the i9 MacBook Pro and now major throttling issue is back. Not like in High Sierra before the fix from apple, but just constant lower multicore clock speed (~2.6 in 10.14 from ~3.0 in 10.13). Cinebench has dropped from ~1050 to ~850 over 10 runs (delta).

Check your GPU, your temps are at 100C while CPU pulls only 30W, it should easily stay at 40-45W. Your dGPU is probably active. There was no change in my case when going from HS to Mojave.

cesboa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Interesting, I'm on the base i7 (6 core 2.2ghz 15inch) and I just averaged 966 after running 5 tests.

I did another 5 tests at max rpm on both fans using SpeedFan and I roughly got 960... so about the same given the variability in background programs running.

That's very weird, I would have thought the i9 would have been hitting low thousands at least.

Dumb question and I know the answer but I have to ask. Are you in a super hot room i.e. 35degrees C or above? I've noticed that my render speeds are a lot quicker now than before. The summer in the UK was ferociously hot, ambient room temperature was pushing 38 at times, it's now settled to around 18 degrees, which is a lot nicer for my Mac !

Thank you for your reply and test. I have tested in our office environment and at home, it's around 21degrees C and pretty cold out side (Lives in Scandinavia) ;)
I always use the machine "docked" on a Satechi stand (because of better second screen viewing angle and more air around the machine) and never touch the machine it self most of the day.

@Thysanoptera, regarding temps the dGPU is "idle" around 35 degrees c, I use a Vega64 in an Razer X case. In the machine it self it's only the Intel graphics that is active (system prefs overview).

I'm back on 10.13 with patch now and pulling ~1000 in Cinebench again, topping at 1050 with fan control coming from idle to max boost.

Thank you guys for your feedback, I'm happy that some (most by the looks of it) don't have issues in Mojave. I'm thinking about talking to apple care because I think it's my machine that have issues... Who knows, down the road I will try again.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Wow, that's horrible.
Here's my Cinebench. I didn't bother with temps, but I have the base 2.2MBP. Let me add that I did NOT upgrade to Mojave.

View attachment 802376

Alright this definitely makes me wanna stick to baseline models from now on. Ever since I got a maxed CPU (quad core) my machine has been hotter and louder too, not into it lol. I wish they’d offer the new Vega chips with the baseline 2.2ghz model I almost don’t think it’s worth having to move up to the 2.6ghz at this point, may just go baseline across the board (cept maybe RAM) and snag an eGPU if needed.

Darrix

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
United States
I remember doing a Cinebench test before I updated and I got about 1100-1200 but now I'm only getting 950ish. Definitely more thermal throttling. My Mac is maxed out beside memory, but if apple doesn't fix this issue, I don't know why anyone would buy the i9, it performs worse than the i7 models and cost significantly more... Unless you need a really ineffective and expensive heater, then I guess you should upgrade.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.37.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.37.37 AM.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 146
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I remember doing a Cinebench test before I updated and I got about 1100-1200 but now I'm only getting 950ish. Definitely more thermal throttling. My Mac is maxed out beside memory, but if apple doesn't fix this issue, I don't know why anyone would buy the i9, it performs worse than the i7 models and cost significantly more... Unless you need a really ineffective and expensive heater, then I guess you should upgrade.

FFS guys. The echo chamber is embarrassing.

Cinebench is old (OpenGL and not even a modern version) and never intended for use on slim and light laptop.

Slim and light laptops are not intended for high quality rendering jobs. If they are used for 3D work then use low quality renderer for pre-vis and finish the high quality render on workstation or server.

This is the way it has been for many years and you are asking for the laws of physics to change just to accommodate a very small number of people who don’t have desktop hardware to complete the task.

Yes...you are holding it wrong.

That aside, yes the machine can throttle under less demanding apps (Final Cut, Premiere, Pshop, etc) if those apps are badly optimized and don’t use macOS native APIs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Cinebench is old (OpenGL and not even a modern version) and never intended for use on slim and light laptop.
If you noticed we're not running the openGL portion of the benchmark but the CPU benchmarks. Besides its a good tool to highlight the performance of the machine, which how its being used.

yes the machine can throttle under less demanding apps
That's the problem there. While we all want apps to be optimized, we also want the hardware to be optimized and to be thermally managed. Blaming the former (apps), to excuse the latter (hardware), gives apple a pass on making a product that overheats rather easily.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Good luck buying a MacBook Pro 6C/12T with i7 that is faster :p

I'm getting similar measured performance on my i9. Definitely a lot quicker than the 4C/8T i7 it replaced.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
If you noticed we're not running the openGL portion of the benchmark but the CPU benchmarks. Besides its a good tool to highlight the performance of the machine, which how its being used.

That's the problem there. While we all want apps to be optimized, we also want the hardware to be optimized and to be thermally managed. Blaming the former (apps), to excuse the latter (hardware), gives apple a pass on making a product that overheats rather easily.

I hear you but Cinebench is not an app, it's an out of date benchmark created for desktop computers. Never intended for use on any thin device. The old version of OpenGL it uses is an energy hog.

The hardware is optimized (except for T2 bugs) but Apple is recommending use of eGPU on the product page for intense apps that can cause thermal throttle.

That's no excuse for bad software though. Lot of people complain that some apps like Premiere, Photoshop, InDesign etc should be working better on this form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.