Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfred.Woodden

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norway
TLDR; My Macbook pro 13" 2018 makes a sticky sound when opening the lid, after it's sat for a while. What are my options?

Hi, refering to this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8026355

I have the same issue with my 13" MacBook Pro 2018 model. Whenever I open the lid after it's sat unused for a while (usually 30min to an hour) the rubber gasket / seal around the screen seems to suck it self stuck to the metal case below (where i rest my palms), and make an annoying sticky sound. I don't think it's the hinge, as the sound disappears until it is closed for a prolonged time again.

Occasionally the sticky sound isn't noticable, and it seems to have something to do with temperature. The more hot, the more sticky it sounds. Having it in a case in my bacpack, where the screen may get "compressed" a bit, seems to "vacuum-seal" the rubber to the metal, causing a very loud sticky sound when opening the lid.

My gf Macbook air doesn't make this sound, and my friend who has the exact same identical MBP as me is fine, and doesn't have this sticky sound.

It really sounds like a sticky rubber, maybe a pop, but not a crack like others describe it.It's not the hinge, I think, of course I'm not 100% on this.

I'ts driving me nuts. I bought it in december 2018... I thought it would wear off, but i hasn't. I don't know what to do about this...

Can anyone help?

Will Apple replace my Mac?

I mean, it was 2300$ / 20,000NOK (norwegian kroner). It's a lot of money, and I believe I shouldn't have to put up with this annoying flaw.

Hope for constructive answers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.