Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHOi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
So I have a MacBook Pro 2019 13 inch, at the moment it doesn't have macOS on it. Trying to run Internet Recovery gives the prompt: "A software update is required to use this startup disk". Clicking on Update after that just shuts it down and makes it restart.

I have already tried several macOS images (High Sierra, Catalina, Monterey, Ventura) but all of them have the same problem (some do load in but again the device randomly shuts down installation). I think there is a problem with the drivers so that's why it shuts down (kernel panic?). I tried running Apple Diagnostics, but this takes me to Internet Recovery.

Is there some way to fix this? The battery is still good so it's not because of that (even if it was bad, that wouldn't explain the other problems)
If there is any info that's still needed to help me, just tell me.

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

UPDATE:
On stack exchange someone suggested restoring the firmware with Apple configurator, this means I need another Mac, which I have, a MacBook Pro 2014 13". It has Big Sur, Apple Configurator needs Monterey (atleast that's what Apple says) so it doesn't detect it (or i might just be not getting in DFU). Will installing a patched Monterey image on my older Mac make it able to connect to the 2019 Mac? If not, is there some way to restore the firmware without another Mac (if the problem isn't the firmware, I am happy to hear other fixes xD)

Last edited:

AHOi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
I have tried running it on an external SSD, works fine, god please don't be the SSD xD
Is there someway to fix the MacBook while it's running?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think you can use the 2014 to run the Apple Configurator 2 app on a 2019 MBP 13".

REASON:
Doesn't AC2 require a USBc cable connection? (and not USBa)
See this page:
I could be wrong, and I welcome correction from those who are more familiar with AC2.

OP:
Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere nearby?
If so, I'd make an appt (needs to be done online) and see if they'll look at it.
If this is something that can be "handled via software", they can probably do it (and I don't think they'll want "a payment").

Reactions: AHOi

AHOi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
I don't think you can use the 2014 to run the Apple Configurator 2 app on a 2019 MBP 13".

REASON:
Doesn't AC2 require a USBc cable connection? (and not USBa)
See this page:
I could be wrong, and I welcome correction from those who are more familiar with AC2.

OP:
Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere nearby?
If so, I'd make an appt (needs to be done online) and see if they'll look at it.
If this is something that can be "handled via software", they can probably do it (and I don't think they'll want "a payment").
Not sure, it also says a supported usb C to usb A will work, although my Mac could just be too old :(
I don't have a store near by unfortunately, funny thing is my father has an Apple repair and selling store, problem is he doesn't have any new Macs in storage... XD

I don't know how there is no single option to fix a macbook firmware without another macbook, like not everyone has two...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.